Sump pump receptacle in the pit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Annett

Occupation
Retired ( 2020 ) City Electrical inspector
A friend of mine called me about an outlet for his sump pump. He said that he ran 3/4 PVC conduit under the basement slab and into the sump pump pit. he said that he was going to install a box on the RNC and install a single receptacle.

He asked me if that would be OK. I said that I will have to look into it. I told him that all of the receptacles that I have seen for sump pumps were above the level of the floor.

I am the person who will be instecting this installation, I have to make a decision based on the 2005 NEC. I have searched this web site's forums but could not find and information that would help.

If anyone has ever installed a receptacle in a sump (pit) or know any code references which would help me make a decision, pkeases let me know. Any information will be appriciated.

Thanks Again, Bill

M. D.

That must be more like a cave than a pit ,.. I can't imagine why any one would want to. but I don't think , given the information there is a section prhibiting this .

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I don't know if there is a code section saying you can not do this but I have seen receptacles in the "pit" and they don't last long because they are subjected to constant humidity. This should be considered a damp location.

dcspector

That receptacle is required to have GFCI protection per 210.8(A) and I do not see anything from preventing one from installing that device in the pit....probably not a good idea though.

M. D.

Based on 05 I think it could be argued that a a single receptacle could be used without GFCI protection NEC 2005 210.8 (A) (5) exception No. 2 . Assuming not a crawl space

dcspector

M. D. said:
Based on 05 I think it could be argued that a a single receptacle could be used without GFCI protection NEC 2005 210.8 (A) (5) exception No. 2 . Assuming not a crawl space

Yes I could argue this point. Is it occupying a dedicated space and is it readily accessible? Seeing this would be great.

billsnuff

i believe that you must follow the manufacturers instructions for installing the pump. i have googled several brands of PDF instructions and they all indicate a wall mounted receptacle, some say single dedicated and some say GFCI.
(in addition to NEC and AHJ, that is)

JMSO, Good luck

Bill Annett

Occupation
Hi.

I would like to thank everyone who has responded. Please keep the comments comming. I will be calling my friend on Wednesday with my decision. PS: This friend of mine ,use to be my boss. He was the code official for the city.

Thanks Again

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
billisa67 said:
Hi.

I would like to thank everyone who has responded. Please keep the comments comming. I will be calling my friend on Wednesday with my decision. PS: This friend of mine ,use to be my boss. He was the code official for the city.

Thanks Again

Then you need to make him jump threw hoops.:smile:

dcspector

Bill,

Question.....Is this a standard sump pit you know about 24" or so in diameter about 36" deep with a receptacle on the wall of that pit? Just wanted to clarify.

stickboy1375

I just installed a sump pump last night, required GFCI protection, no restrictions on where the receptacle should be located, In the pit would be my last place to install a receptacle, nothing good will come of it...

Bill Annett

Occupation
Hi dcspector, I have not seen it but I think it was what you described. This will be my last post for today. I wont be able to get back on line until i go back to work on Wednesday.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
billsnuff said:
i believe that you must follow the manufacturers instructions for installing the pump. i have googled several brands of PDF instructions and they all indicate a wall mounted receptacle, some say single dedicated and some say GFCI.
(in addition to NEC and AHJ, that is)

JMSO, Good luck

Unless those instructions contain specific mounting instructions for the receptacle location (i.e. xx" above floor) they are no more enforcable than the luminaire instruction that shows 2 turns of fixture and branch circuit wire before installing the manufacturer supplied plastic wire nut.

The only way the OP receptacle will be damaged by flooding is if the sump pump does not operate, in which case the basement might flood and the receptacle would be damaged even if it was mounted 4' above the finished floor. And as far as working clearance,110.34 is for live parts, turn off the power and you require no more clearnace than you would with a disposal connection under a sink.

peter d

stickboy1375 said:
In the pit would be my last place to install a receptacle, nothing good will come of it...

I agree, the last time I saw a receptacle in the pit was in a parking garage - it was submerged and shorted out.

Really there is nothing angist the NEC related to the sumppump pit and i did see few of it myself in both resdential and commercal sized pits.

But try to put in the repectale in the pit it kinda stink to me because it is a fully wet location and also the WP bell box will not last very long anyway. i have some fail in few years.

Merci, Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.