15amp outlet on a 20amp circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
For a given grade of receptacle, the conductive parts are the same. The slot shape gives the receptacle its rating, by rejecting other plug types.

Note that some 20a receptacles have a T-slot and some don't; the ones with T-slots will accept either 15a or 20a plugs.

The purpose is to make sure a circuit can handle the load. Allowing 15a receptacles on a 20a circuit is actually an exception for multi-receptacle circuits.

celtic

It's "OK" only in certain instances....where you have more than one device on said circuit....where total load is less than 12A....etc...[210.21]

I don't see where it it an exception, but rather the rule ~ unless we are talking about welders :)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
zappy said:
why is this ok?thank you.
The simple answer (that is all I can handle :grin: ) is that you can only do it if there are two or more receptacles. The theory, I suppose, is that you won't have more than 15 amps going through any one of the 15 amp receptacles. You might, for example, have 8 amps going through each of a pair of 15 amp receptacles, so that neither is overloaded, and the total load of 16 amps is still within the capacity of the 20 amp circuit.

zappy

ok

ok

20amp circuit to a 15 amp outlet back stabbed to the next outlet etc.is it not possible to overload a outlet?i heard of a melted outlet once in a mechanic shop.

TwinCitySparky

All current market "back-stabable" outlets sold today are designed to only accept 14 gauge wire. The old stuff would accept 12.

The back stabbing issue is a whole different monster all together...;)

zappy

i meant to say in series of each other.

i meant to say in series of each other.

but i hear you with the back stabbing being a whole nother subject.

daddyray

15A receptacle/20A circuit

15A receptacle/20A circuit

I could use some background...I would think a 15A receptacle would provide an extra margin of safety, since it would limit the load on the wiring. So why would the code not "like" it?
:-?

Status
Not open for further replies.