How stuck in your ways are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

celtic

220/221 said:
Ahhh.....tell me you have never touched the terminal screws on a switch/recep to the side of a metal box/mud ring.

Come on...tell me :grin:
Never.

220/221 said:
For example I KNOW that metal boxes and NM don't match. Why would you use a conductive box with NM ? All you do is increase your chances for a short circuit.
So using any and all other wiring types does not yield the same result for you?

AC, MC, heck..even THHN and conduit?
What is so "special" about NM, metal boxes and shorts?
You can tell us...is the terminals or the stripping of the NM that is the problem?
:roll:

dnem

electricman2 said:
Plastic boxes make sense to me if for no other reason than you dont have to ground them. I hate ground clips and its a pain to get the egc around that screw in the back.;)

I'm not disputing bonding metal boxes but I wondered if you consider it a significant safety concern to bond them when using plastic covers. . What's exposed is a plastic switch lever or receptacle face and a plastic cover. . The user never has access to contact with the box or anything metal that's touching the box.

You might say that it's an issue for the person "down the road" that services the device after you, but wouldn't the energized device itself be of far greater danger and 250.146(A) allows you to remove a raised cover and handle the device without the protection of an equipment ground. . In that case, the box is bonded and the device is not which is of far greater concern than the other way around.

Once again, I'm not disputing complying with the NEC, I'm just setting my inspecting priorities. . On the rough inspection I want to focus my vigilance and concentration on significant safety issues without ignoring the lessor requirements.

David

ItsHot

stuck in ways?

stuck in ways?

I am not "stuck" in my ways at all! Sometimes I install receptacles ground "down", sometimes ground "UP"! Sometimes I will not "tape" wirenuts, sometimes I will "tape" them! I have painted "backerboards gray, or at least had someone paint them. Just because it makes for a nicer job, but usually because the job is "spec" to do so. I never try to leave a mile of romex exsposed on a wall. Just because I do not know what "exsposed to physical damage"means?? And the fact that the NEC uses the term often, but has failed to define it! And last but not the least, Yes I have been known to use those "plastic bushings!! Just a few, but YKWTSAO!

220/221

is the terminals or the stripping of the NM that is the problem

Both....though it's not a problem, but a potential problem that can be eliminated. You see how romex is stripped. You know that the insulation is likely to get cut when they slice the sheath.

Rewire

cschmid said:
hey you this started me thinking and man that is bad thing..here one to ponder I bet no one goes to heaven and sits around talking about how much more over time they should of worked..and 1 generation after you die who will remember you or even care..So what is it you are really doing here on earth..
You must not plan on impacting anyones life.I still remember my Grandfather telling stories of his childhood and the lessons his father taught him and these are the stories and lessons I pass on to my children sadly to many people want to be a character rather than have it rewality TV tells them that backstabbing and lying is O.K. as long as it furthers your "game" children are reaching adulthood with no core values but through it all I have learned one thing from the greatest teacher of all, one man can make a difference.

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
iwire said:
I have used plenty of metal boxes with NM.

The plastic boxes are hard to nail on to metal studs. :wink:

1. Drill holes in metal stud
2. insert nails into holes
3. Bend nails over with hammer
:roll:

peter d

iwire said:
The plastic boxes are hard to nail on to metal studs. :wink:

Not these:

S122RS.jpg

emahler

iwire said:
Stupidest thread ever.

Really, what is the point?

Seriously, what do you expect will come out of it?

i expect nothing...why so angry? maybe someone will learn something new....maybe not...this place is worse than a cult sometimes...if it's new, it must be bad...

peter d

iwire said:
Stupidest thread ever.

Really, what is the point?

Seriously, what do you expect will come out of it?

Gee, I'm not sure, I think taped wirenuts was a lot worse than this one. ;)

The point? Well why even have the forum at all if we question the point of many of these threads. Aren't they for a good discussion and maybe some laughs along the way? That's how I see it. :)

peter d

iwire said:
What have we learned in this thread.

Why does it matter? :confused:

Maybe we've learned how open minded people are to new ideas? Maybe some of us have learned why the electrical trade lags in some aspects? I don't know...

Status
Not open for further replies.