Receptacle as required lighting outlet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frizbeedog

210.70 (A) (2) (a)

In a detached garage can the required lighting outlet be a receptacle?

Picture a ceiling mounted recep for a plug in fixture to be installed by joe homeowner after I'm done and gone.

Thoughts please.

peter d

I take a "lighting outlet" to be just that, a lighting outlet, not a receptacle. There would be no need for the exceptions in 210.70(a)(1) if lighting outlets included receptacles in the broad definition.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Here's the definition of a lighting outlet:

Lighting Outlet. An outlet intended for the direct connection of a lampholder or luminaire

Do you think that a switch controlled receptacle meets the definition?

iwire

Staff member
Jim W in Tampa said:
It is an outlet.Code does not say fixture.

The requirement is not for just an outlet, it is a requirement for a lighting outlet.

Now if you don't want to put a fixture on it I am fine with that. :smile:

Jim W in Tampa

iwire said:
The requirement is not for just an outlet, it is a requirement for a lighting outlet.

Now if you don't want to put a fixture on it I am fine with that. :smile:

So Bob,would you pass it with the receptacl in ceiling that is switched?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Jim W in Tampa said:
So Bob,would you pass it with the receptacl in ceiling that is switched?

A switched receptacle is permitted for the connection of a HID fixture. One could argue that a switched receptacle for a cord and plug connected low bay lighting fixture would meet the requirement.

frizbeedog

infinity said:
A switched receptacle is permitted for the connection of a HID fixture. One could argue that a switched receptacle for a cord and plug connected low bay lighting fixture would meet the requirement.

Because of the HID lighting with receps scenario, I keep asking myself the question.

Also: Is a plug a direct connection as used in the definition of a lighting outlet?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
georgestolz said:
The key to the definition is "direct connection," not "cord and plug connection."

So a garage with a low bay HID light plugged into a switch control receptacle wouldn't satisfy the lighting out requirement for a detached garage?

Buck Parrish

Just thought I would through this in. 2008 code says if both top and botton of a duplex outlet is switched then it does not count as a required outlet.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
buckofdurham said:
Just thought I would through this in. 2008 code says if both top and botton of a duplex outlet is switched then it does not count as a required outlet.

I believe that George actually made that proposal.

frizbeedog

quogueelectric said:
Why not just put in a keyless porcelain with a recepacle built in and call it a day. GFCI protected of course.

Funny you should mention GFCI protection on the receptacle in the ceiling. I often install a recep for a GDO and now you have me thinking I should have been providing GFCI protection for these all this time. 210.8 (A) (2) seems to confirm that. I see no exception. :)

iwire

Staff member
electricalperson said:
a lot of older homes around here have a switched receptacle in the bedroom and no celing lighting outlets

That is still allowed in many rooms, but not the garage.

Exception 1 of 210.70(A)(1)

iwire

Staff member
quogueelectric said:
Why not just put in a keyless porcelain with a receptacle built in and call it a day.

Not sure if that is OK.

Take a look at 410.47.

'Lampholders of the screw shell type shall be installed for use as lamp holders only'

Status
Not open for further replies.