Would you.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

srblx

huh??

huh??

Where are these prices you guys quote coming from? In the great state of Ohio, quoting 2k for a service change would leave me sitting at home all the time.

On another note if you want the rates to go up quit letting the GCs' try to quote our bids before we even show up, I have turned down jobs when the gc goes i only quoted the customer thus and so for the electrical part is there any way you can do it for that. Sure i may lose that job by saying no but then i can move on to one that pays me what my work is worth.

celtic

srblx said:
Where are these prices you guys quote coming from? In the great state of Ohio, quoting 2k for a service change would leave me sitting at home all the time.

In NJ, I start at $2500 - $2700 for a 200A upgrade(SE cble/OH)....I may have to increase that number as no one has come right out and said "NO" in the past few months. :grin:

satcom

srblx said:

The prices we quote for service upgrades come form, job estimating sheets, that were developed from years of actual records, and not taken out of a hat, or a look at what another guy was charging, the price we quote is based on facts, what it actually takes to do the job, and with every cost, and burden included, then we will add a very small profit, and 2K for a 200A service upgrade in service cable, is more like at the bottom of the price range, now if your not really in business, and just playing at it, or working out of a trunk, then any amount larger then then wages you have earned will look large.

Do you have eniough ad money in your budget to assure the phone is ruinging eniough? so have more choices on what jobs you select, and which ones you decline?

Rewire

Here is my story I was charging $1000.00 for a 100A service and $2000.00 for a 200A service I went to a customer who had an okd 60A service they asked how much to upgrade to a 100A and I said $1000.00 they paused a moment and asked what if we go to 200A and I said that would be $2000.00 they paused a moment then said well we did not want to spend that much but I think we should go with the 200 Amp now we want to be sure $3000.00 covers everything,I quickly realized they had added the $2000.00 to the 1000.00 so without hesitation I said yes.We got the job .

celtic

Rewire said:
.....I quickly realized they had added the $2000.00 to the 1000.00 so without hesitation I said yes.We got the job .
I am not judging you, but I do not believe I could have said yes to the 3k based on the customer's mistake.

Regarding cross country apple and orange price comparisons.

A 200A heavy up requires a slightly different pile of gear here in the east than it does down south but the costs aren't all that different for each pile.
A 3000sf house requires almost exactly the same pile of gear.

The main variables in costs are labor and real estate.
Almost everything else costs very close to the same everywhere.

The truck and the fuel in it and the tires, brakes,etc cost the same.

Rewire

celtic said:
I am not judging you, but I do not believe I could have said yes to the 3k based on the customer's mistake.
Actually you are judging me or you would not have responded but that matters little to me as I am in business to make money and when I have a chance to correct a low bid I will take it.

celtic

Rewire said:
Actually you are judging me or you would not have responded but that matters little to me as I am in business to make money and when I have a chance to correct a low bid I will take it.

No I am not judging you...I already told you that...I am judging myself:
...I do not believe I could...

If you want to spin it...go ahead.

bikeindy

BryanMD said:
Regarding cross country apple and orange price comparisons.

A 200A heavy up requires a slightly different pile of gear here in the east than it does down south but the costs aren't all that different for each pile.
A 3000sf house requires almost exactly the same pile of gear.

The main variables in costs are labor and real estate.
Almost everything else costs very close to the same everywhere.

The truck and the fuel in it and the tires, brakes,etc cost the same.

I don't think you are at all correct. My pile of gear may be alot different depending on what the POCO requires. some one working in a rural area has to potentially drive farther for the work. can a guy in NJ get a $20 oil change on his van? and I am sure if real estate is higher in one are then labor for vehical mainenence is higher. some states don't require workmans comp till you have 4 employees. so you are way off base in your assumption, costs are tremendously different from place to place. and if you are a small shop you can keep overhead way down, a larger shop has to pay for that overhead and that drives cost up.

satcom

bikeindy said:
can a guy in NJ get a $20 oil change on his van? and I am sure if real estate is higher in one are then labor for vehical mainenence is higher

Yup, we sure can get that $20 oil change, you must be talking about the oil change where the $7 am hour pot head, leaves the oil plug out.

I have family throught the country, that have service business and we discuss the area cost differences, they are there but there is a bigger difference in urban and metro areas, then different parts of the country, national firms that have service companes in every state, have little to no differences in their price structures.
Where some of the rural housing, that reguires longer travel. and has less services, and is taxed at a lower rate, the total cost of housing may be less, but, overall the same can be founf anywhere in the country.

Last edited:

bikeindy

satcom said:
Yup, we sure can get that $20 oil change, you must be talking about the oil change where the $7 am hour pot head, leaves the oil plug out.

I have family throught the country, that have service business and we discuss the area cost differences, they are there but there is a bigger difference in urban and metro areas, then different parts of the country, national firms that have service companes in every state, have little to no differences in their price structures.
Where some of the rural housing, that reguires longer travel. and has less services, and is taxed at a lower rate, the total cost of housing may be less, but, overall the same can be founf anywhere in the country.

I use to beable to do an oil change myself for under $10 and the oild change places were $20, Now it cost me $16 to do it myself and they are still at $20, I don't get it, unless volume is so high or they are up selling like mad. I never take my van to those places I do it myself.

celtic

bikeindy said:
I don't get it, unless volume is so high or they are up selling like mad.

Actually...you do get it ;)

Bulk oil purchases, volume and high upsales + minimum wage workers = profit.

hardworkingstiff

stickboy1375 said:
What in the world does #12 have to do with a well planned job? I would much rather have more 15 amp circuits than 20 amp circuits...

This is the point I don't know that I understand. Often a circuit will get loaded by one "setup" in a room. The PC, printer, TV, light, stereo, etc. all on one circuit just because that's the way it gets plugged in. I think I would rather have a 20-amp circuit over a 15-amp circuit.

iwire

Staff member
hardworkingstiff said:
This is the point I don't know that I understand. Often a circuit will get loaded by one "setup" in a room. The PC, printer, TV, light, stereo, etc. all on one circuit just because that's the way it gets plugged in.

Is there more availble power in a room served by one 20 amp circuit or two 15 amp circuits?

bikeindy

480sparky said:
You believe they're buying oil at the same price Costco and Sams Club sells it for?

I know they buy it in bulk and sell it my point if you read it was that since oil has increased in price they have maintained the oil change price. It is the same now as 10 years ago. I don't go to those places but they must have real grease monkeys now.

Status
Not open for further replies.