who owns the tools you use

Status
Not open for further replies.

-marty

When I started in the trade you owned the tools you carried on your tool belt. Now it seems that EC's want you to own your own power tools. One EC in the neighborhood wants his guys to own their own 4" ko punch.

What's the norm?

thanks

ITO

4" KO set is excessive IMHO, but I would like to see cordless screw guns as part of a Journeyman's tool list.

growler

-marty said:
What's the norm?

thanks

There is no norm. The biggest tool I would supply as a working electrician with no ownership in the company would be a small cordless drill.

I have always believed that a company should supply everything that doesn't fit in a tool bag. I will admit that I have done some work for companies that didn't see it that way.:-?

Last edited:

220/221

That was one of the good rules (in theory) that the IBEW laid out.

They had a list of tools that you were required to own and anything not on the list had to be supplied by the contractor.

Of course they were extremely slow to update that list. I have no idea if they have since my experience in 1975. I know that the "wobbly" (speed screwdriver for installing devices) was not on the list at the time and the people in charge didn't want it to be. "We sell labor" was their theory and anything that reduced labor costs was counter productive.

I provide everything but hand tools for my guys.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I was required to have and maintain my own hand tools, but everything else was supplied by the boss. He was pretty cool though, I would usually buy my tools at the wholesale house (that was the only place you used to be able to get Klien's out here) on his account and he would just take it out of my check and then sometimes he wouldn't.

Rewire

Not to promote one brand over another but I supply all tools other than side tools.I Use Dewalt 18v battery tools so all tools use the same batteries this makes it convienient when more than one guy is on a job.Some guys have personal impact 14v drills.I tell everyone that I do not need any drama on the job so don't loan your personal drill because it could get damaged.I had one guy bringa bag of battery tools to work and when the apprentice picked up he put the bag in the back of the truck and it rained on them this guy comes in my office complaining about his wet tools I told him to leave the bag at home.

quogueelectric

Each IBEW local has thier own tool list that covers what you can and cannot carry in your toolbox. The contract usually states that small hand tools provided by the contractor can be carried in the box. Most guys I know have a tool or two that they are not supposed to. However the tool list is to discourage someone from providing his own threading machine so he doesnt get laid off before the other guy with only a cordless drill.

Rewire

quogueelectric said:
Each IBEW local has thier own tool list that covers what you can and cannot carry in your toolbox. The contract usually states that small hand tools provided by the contractor can be carried in the box. Most guys I know have a tool or two that they are not supposed to. However the tool list is to discourage someone from providing his own threading machine so he doesnt get laid off before the other guy with only a cordless drill.
I always thought it funny that a no-dog was not on the tool list but you could buy one at the hall from the BA

dwellselectric

Inactive, Email Never Verified
:mad: I used to work for a company that wanted you to buy whatever tool you needed that was electric anyway. I left when he told me I had to buy my own hole hog. I mean something that expensive that you bought and your using on his job to make him a lot of money I think is wrong. If it breaks you need to pay to get it fixed now them

cschmid

You need to provide your own hand tools..we provide everything else..you break your hand tool at work we replace it..But we also have a rule that you do not do side jobs..you work for us..the bonus is you can use our tools to work on your own personal projects at home..

romexking

We have a tool list that among the standard hand tools, our guys are required to provide a cordless drill (not a 5 piece kit), several different test meters such as digital multimeter, an clamp on ammeter, a toner kit, VDV line tester (cost about $100). We also require up to a 2" hand KO set, but I don't enforce that one!

I've heard of a local company that requires it's new resi rope slingers to provide all power tools and ladders...that is abolutely re-gosh-darn-diculus!

LawnGuyLandSparky

Rewire said:
I always thought it funny that a no-dog was not on the tool list but you could buy one at the hall from the BA

The point is, the contractor cannot require you to have a no-dog. If he insists you use one, he must supply it. If he supplys it, there's no problem with you keeping it in your tool bag if that's their policy.

LawnGuyLandSparky

romexking said:
We have a tool list that among the standard hand tools, our guys are required to provide a cordless drill (not a 5 piece kit), several different test meters such as digital multimeter, an clamp on ammeter, a toner kit, VDV line tester (cost about $100). We also require up to a 2" hand KO set, but I don't enforce that one!

I've heard of a local company that requires it's new resi rope slingers to provide all power tools and ladders...that is abolutely re-gosh-darn-diculus!

You can see where this is headed. IMO asking a journeyman to provide a cordless drill is WAY over the line. Any power tool. Now it's ladders? Ammeter? How often is that needed that every employee should have that in their personal arsenal?

romexking

LawnGuyLandSparky said:
You can see where this is headed. IMO asking a journeyman to provide a cordless drill is WAY over the line. Any power tool. Now it's ladders? Ammeter? How often is that needed that every employee should have that in their personal arsenal?

I didn't say that I require ladders, but as for the ammeter, that can be used very frequently when troubleshooting. Sure, when you install conduit, and pull wire all day an ammeter is not needed often, but when you are doing service work it is. Although you might, I don't find it unreasonable for our techs to supply a battery drill. I also require them to buy black shoes and a black belt...it that way over the line also? Together they cost about the same as drill.

I suppose everyone will have a justification for a particular tool list that will seem reasonable to some and outragous to others.

quogueelectric

Rewire said:
I bought the greenlee bending level it has the no dog built in. You can always use a short piece of strut and a clamp but the nodog is just easier.I always joke around that the BA bought a new boat and named it the general fund. Some dont think its that funny. If you take the job you gotta expect people to take shots at you now and then purely in jest though.

djohns6

I'm fortunate . My company buys everything except my jeans , underwear , and shoes . :D

We all have a few personal tools in our bags and toolboxes though .

electricalperson

dSilanskas said:
:mad: I used to work for a company that wanted you to buy whatever tool you needed that was electric anyway. I left when he told me I had to buy my own hole hog. I mean something that expensive that you bought and your using on his job to make him a lot of money I think is wrong. If it breaks you need to pay to get it fixed now them
every single tool i use at my job is mine. i have my own hole hawg, meters, megger, hole punch up to 1-1/4,sockets, etc. only thing the company provides is pipe benders and snakes. i also use my own fish sticks. im even on my second 36 volt dewalt kit...

djohns6 said:
I'm fortunate . My company buys everything except my jeans , underwear , and shoes . :D

We all have a few personal tools in our bags and toolboxes though .

I am fortunate as well. My company supplies all my tools, my clothes and my shoes. The underwear is my responsibility.
However I have everything I need, then some, at home, just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.