insulation of a device in a metal box

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Peter, see 406.4(G)

(G) Terminals of Receptacles shall be taped due to many "What if's" that could possibly occur

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
icon10.gif

Roger

macmikeman

Note to all here, please take the fact of the holdiay season to forgive me of my sin, I have been in the habit of taping over the exposed terminals on switches that are connected to 277 volt lighting circuits for many a year. Somebody just might not have gotten a blast out of me. Knew it wasn't required.

djokerw42

safety is never a waste of time

safety is never a waste of time

I always tape,have for 28 years,your fingers ever get shaky? ever not been able to shut down circuit? well good for you, I'll continue to tape thank you

So, Before you tape the wire nut, do you twist the wires?
Does it matter if you tape the device and the ground is up?
Does the tape have to be scotch 33?
Since when has an engineer/architecht had the time to see if you tape devices?

Just asking incase I run into one of these "ANAL" folks.I want to be prepared.

Set screw/compresion, no dif. Most are in such a hurry to hack it in neither gets tight. Hence the EGC.

I chalenge anyone to give one (1) example of a resi ckt that can't be shutdown. Medical. They all have battery back up. I know.

For coomercial/industrial, You don't think that when your a@@ gets blown up and your on the floor quivering like a flounder on mercury, that the production won't some how recover?

Heros get bridges named after them. But they never know it.

brian john

It is a personal thing. I mostly would not tape but have. IMO it is kinda of like wearing a belt with suspenders, especially in plastic boxes.

ground up ground down
tape wire nuts
tape switches receptacles
What else?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
brian john said:
IMO it is kinda of like wearing a belt with suspenders, especially in plastic boxes.
You're right. I only wear a belt with suspenders in metal boxes. :grin:

mdshunk

Think about this... Not all tapes are created equal. 33, 88, Super 10, Scotch 22 all have excellent fire retardant abilities, but pay attention to what type of tape you use. The terminations on devices have certain temperature ratings, and wrapping with an electrical tape that doesn't have at a minimum that tamp rating would be trouble, I would think. UL 510 addresses flammability ratings for electrical tape. There are some that would not be suitable for wrapping receptacles due to their temperature rating alone, so it would seem. That's all you'd want to do is wrap a receptacle with "fuel". Some have adhesives that are corrosive to metals and so forth. Vinyl versus rubber electrical tapes differ considerably in there fire retardant ratings. Pay attention to the tape you use, and don't just pick any old tape to wrap your devices.

M. D.

mdshunk said:
Think about this... Not all tapes are created equal. 33, 88, Super 10, Scotch 22 all have excellent fire retardant abilities,.

Took the words right out of my mouth..:smile:

I won't say I never have but I hardly ever do.,..Sometimes in the kitchen when the home owner isn't sure if the back wall over the counter is getting tile or not. ..I have a feeling the tile guys don't bother with shutting circuits off

iwire

Staff member
djokerw42 said:
I always tape,have for 28 years,your fingers ever get shaky? ever not been able to shut down circuit? well

If you know you get shaky fingers maybe pulling out hot devices is just a bad idea to start with?

That was this mornings verse from the 'Don't work live' Chorus. :wink:

fine_city_chorus_2004.jpg

e57

iwire said:
If you know you get shaky fingers maybe pulling out hot devices is just a bad idea to start with?

That was this mornings verse from the 'Don't work live' Chorus. :wink:

fine_city_chorus_2004.jpg

Do they do any other tunes? :grin: Take requests - Inna Gada Da Vida anyone?

Last edited:

celtic

iwire said:

You could leave the band at home and could use this:
C140_product.jpg

The blades usually provide a snug fit for device removal....

..or you could get the "D-luxe" homeowner version:
pluggrip.jpg

(Available at home centers ONLY)

There is even a "D-luxe" switch version:
switchgrip.jpg

What info-mercial would be complete with a video showcasing all the items high points:
http://pluggrip.com/infovideo.html

Get your PlugGrip TODAY !!!

:grin:

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
ground up ground down
tape wire nuts
tape switches receptacles
33, 88, Super 10, Scotch 22
Before you tape the wire nut, do you twist the wires?
set screw/compression

Okay, okay, okay, so which color do you use?

Black, Red, Blue, White, Green, Brown, Orange, Yellow, Purple, Pink . . . ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.