Nail Plates are not 100% effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandsnow

I always suspected this, but never knew for sure until I did it myself. I was sort of cheating in that I had all my weight behind the air chamber of my framing nailer. This was because the panel was a little warpped.

e57

It might have blown through even if you didn't have your weight behind it. Then again it could have ricocheted and stuck in your eye.... I find that better to be in the pipe than your eye.... ;)

Next time take a red crayon and mark it "No Clavos!" - just to remind yourself..... :grin:

splinetto

I understand the reason for nail plates however why is it more important to protect the wire at the edge of the studs vs everywhere else...For ex..running 4/0 SER cable in walls, it is over 1.5 inches in diameter so in a 2x4 wall it will always be closer than 1.25 in to the finished wall but only has to be protected at the bored holes....

bikeindy

sandsnow said:
I always suspected this, but never knew for sure until I did it myself. I was sort of cheating in that I had all my weight behind the air chamber of my framing nailer. This was because the panel was a little warpped.

I kind of assumed they called them nail guards refering to drywall nails I dont think i have seen a guy but up drywall with a nail gun.

paul

I'm one of those who feel you get what you have coming to you if you're using a nail gun to attach something to a finished wall, other than brad-nailing on the baseboard or trim. Reminds me of something Tim "The Toolman" Taylor would do. Arr Arr Arrrrrgh.

quogueelectric

bikeindy said:
I kind of assumed they called them nail guards refering to drywall nails I dont think i have seen a guy but up drywall with a nail gun.
That was my next question I never saw anyone hang sheetrock with a framing nail gun but I bet somewhere In the 50 states they are doing it.

electricalperson

thats the reason why i try to avoid going through the studs where i can. a nail plate can stop a drywall screw installed with a normal drywall drill. but anything is possible especially if the drywaller goes by the name of superman. will it be our fault if someone drives a nail through a nail plate with a nailgun and caused a fire?

bikeindy

electricalperson said:
will it be our fault if someone drives a nail through a nail plate with a nailgun and caused a fire?

NO as long as you installed it correctly.. If i drill through a pipe doing remodle work it isint the plumbers fault...or is it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Even a code compliant installation with a bored hole 1.25" from the edge wouldn't have helped with a nail that long. So the fact that it penetrated a protective plate is somewhat meaningless.

iwire

Staff member
You just can't tell what might happen. :wink:

57980.jpg

e57

While back a GC called and said the hit some wires putting up shear wall - yes there were live in an existing house - Hit hit just about everything in the wall and they only noticed because the compressor stopped. I just there and myself and the plumber were amazed by the liberal use of 16's for shear wall!!!!!

e57

iwire said:
You just can't tell what might happen. :wink:

57980.jpg

Neighbor across the street had one of those in the living room just after I moved in... Which got me on the stop sign and speed bump brigade really quick.... People do 70 on my street drunk!

Jim W in Tampa

e57 said:
Neighbor across the street had one of those in the living room just after I moved in... Which got me on the stop sign and speed bump brigade really quick.... People do 70 on my street drunk!

Poor truck what a shame to go this way.

Thats fake picture

quogueelectric

Jim W in Tampa said:
I install them huricane straps with nail gun,yes they go thru with 90#
Positive placement yes I have 2 of them Nails are short tico nails tho. Most people arent drilling where the straps are unless they are adding a second story to an old gable end and reusing the old peak. A lot of cutting mitres and not as strong. Still gotta firestop the penetrations.

quogueelectric

e57 said:
While back a GC called and said the hit some wires putting up shear wall - yes there were live in an existing house - Hit hit just about everything in the wall and they only noticed because the compressor stopped. I just there and myself and the plumber were amazed by the liberal use of 16's for shear wall!!!!!
Sawzall can be electricians best friend. For extras that is.

sandsnow

e57 said:
It might have blown through even if you didn't have your weight behind it. Then again it could have ricocheted and stuck in your eye.... I find that better to be in the pipe than your eye.... ;)

Next time take a red crayon and mark it "No Clavos!" - just to remind yourself..... :grin:

I did hit a couple others using the gun one handed and they just hairpinned.

I had no excuse to hit this, the plumbing in the adjacent wall was exposed. I was just in a hurry.

Status
Not open for further replies.