pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.

emahler

celtic said:
I'm looking to pocket a grand for stamping a permit :grin:

then he'll never agree...he ain't gonna work for the man without getting his...make you rich off his labor? never gonna happen..

celtic

emahler said:
then he'll never agree...he ain't gonna work for the man without getting his...make you rich off his labor? never gonna happen..

I'm "the man" :-?

:grin:

LawnGuyLandSparky

celtic said:
LGLS,
just to keep it brief and so I understand....will you or won't you take the job in #68?

Below are all the conversations so we are on the same page here.

Heck no. Why would I drive to NJ for work, and where are getting this $1700.00?

bradleyelectric

m73214 said:
I'm looking for a scissor lift. Can you share the specs and what you paid?

19' upright. around 2300. It was 2 years ago and I've done a warehouse, bank with funky ceiling heights, and regularly do work in production- warehouse faucilities with it. It's saved me enough to pay for itself. It actually stays at a print shop more than at my shop.

bradleyelectric

LawnGuyLandSparky said:

$1700 for 4 hours worth of work aint bad money. Or maybe you are figuring $500 for material comes out of that. That would mean $1200 for 4 hours work. Now I understand your difficulty with taking this job. Knowing that you are not a contractor and don't have the expenses associated with it, I know that your employer pays you much more than the $300/ hr you'd get for this job. I wouldn't fall for Da Man on this 1 either.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
satcom said:
And how many additional hours to install the ground rods, identify the branches, and label they, and if you doing a 200A the GEC can take 4 hours to run, all by itself.

Dave, the 20 hours plus is a better figure.
why would you need to install new ground rods? its not like the old ones wore out.

you might need to upsize the gec if it ran to a water line, but a lot of places don't.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
m73214 said:
It's really getting cut throat ugly around my area. I've been doing 2300 sq ft spec homes for a builder for the last couple of years. Typical home, 200A service, 20 recessed cans, phone, cable, smokes, etc. My price has been stable at $11700.00 for the last year and a half. Well today, I run into the builder and he whips out a bid he got from another guy for the next spec he is starting which by the way is 3000 sq ft. I about fell over when I saw the bid this guy submitted. He bid it at $5000.00 excluding cans but his price on cans were $10.00 each complete with trim and lamp! I use Halo H71CAT's and the can alone is 9.00. People are getting desperate out there boys..........

you'd be surprised how creative someone who is desperate can be.

you get into survival mode and as long as you don't do something really stupid, you can survive for a long time making a lot less, but still surviving. Its a pretty common thing for smaller contractors in every field. Face it, the home building business is extremely cyclical, and you need survival skills if you are in that market.

Last edited:

celtic

LawnGuyLandSparky said:

Why not...you'd be making $1200+/- for a 1/2 day of work ~minus 500+/- material; a few bucks for gas; and if you had agreed yesterday you would have avoided the $2 increase in tools.

$300/hr is pretty dam good pay in ANY area.

Tiger Electrical

petersonra said:
why would you need to install new ground rods? its not like the old ones wore out.

you might need to upsize the gec if it ran to a water line, but a lot of places don't.

There's no way to know the condition of the old ground rod by looking at the top few inches of it. Also, all my installations get two new rods. Why would I only pound one rod and tie into a questionable old ground rod. IMO it's the right way to do the job.

Dave

tonyou812

Tiger Electrical said:
There's no way to know the condition of the old ground rod by looking at the top few inches of it. Also, all my installations get two new rods. Why would I only pound one rod and tie into a questionable old ground rod. IMO it's the right way to do the job.

Dave
how do you know its questonable?did you test it? so is any ground rod thats been in the ground for 20 years done? Should they institute a new code that all ground rods over 10 years old be changed?

celtic

Every resi. upgrade I have done has always gotten a new rod/s ....the older homes just don't seem to have them here ~ including my own home.

tonyou812

celtic said:
Every resi. upgrade I have done has always gotten a new rod/s ....the older homes just don't seem to have them here ~ including my own home.
Thats not what I asked I said how do you know that the ground rod is no good?

tonyou812

And you know what ? maybe its the Jim Beam talking but how the hell do you get 20 hrs for a service change that took me literally 4 1/2 hours to do and thats with driving TWO new rods(cause they had none to begin with) through asphalt no less. The freaking house had only 6 circuts to begin with anyway. If it takes someone longer than that to do a back to back (panel and meter pan) service with 6 lousy circuts than maybe some of you need to speed it up a bit. Oh yea the right the ride to North Bergen took me the other 15 and half hours to do. Oh no it was the phone call to the supply house that took up the other 15 hours to complete or no maybe it was the 15 minutes it took me to load the crap into my truck that took that time. Lets face it people its the small EFFICIENT CONTRACTOR that is your biggest competion when it comes to the smaller jobs . But this thread isnt in total vain because I will make it a priority to get more for my work.
Dont get me wrong I do appreciate some of the good advice but please in the future dont insult my inteligence. I dont just shoot from the hip to come up with a number, I do my homework, and I promise you wont see my company on the chopping block any time soon. Maybe I will be comming for your company if all goes well.

480sparky

Tiger Electrical said:

Dave

Interesting.

At what point in time after installation would you consider them ineffective? If I drive two rods today, is the inspector going to OK them next week? Next month?

Status
Not open for further replies.