2MW GENSET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Was actually asked by a friend of mine for a budget to F&I a 2MW genset....he wanted to try to get a budget within 150k. I called my generator guy and he said $750K with a 3000a ATS then I figured about 200 hours install and rigging for an approximate price of $850K. You think that is in line?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Sounds good as far as a budget price but your labor hours are light IMO

Roger

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Sounds good as far as a budget price but your labor hours are light IMO

Roger

What excatly is involved in installing a genset that size. It gets rigged into place and then what do the electricians do that does not involve running feeders and controls? Thanks.

JeffD

I agree it sounds light. You are talking around 400-500 hrs for the genset and ats. That does not count the feeders, control wiring, genset pad, rigging, fuel, work/rework normal gear, etc.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
As you stated, there are feeders which will consist of mutiple large paralled conduits and conductors, probably 10 or more, and assuming a four wire system, that alone gives you 80 plus large conductor terminations to the line side of the ATS not including EGC's. If you are going to connect the Utility side and the loads you will can possibily have 200 or more large conductor terminations.

Installing this many feeder conduits and pulling 40 large conductors say 500 or 600 KCMIL's will take double or tripple your labor number before you start on the generator and ATS installation

You will also have to be onsite for the start up and testing, this will take a couple of days for a couple men after all the installation work has been done. There are other factors as well.

Thinking about it, you may want to add another 100K into your budget number, better to be high now and make them happy when you give an lower actual quote per the scope than have to go up and make them mad.

Roger

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I agree it sounds light. You are talking around 400-500 hrs for the genset and ats. That does not count the feeders, control wiring, genset pad, rigging, fuel, work/rework normal gear, etc.

If the 400-500 hours does not include and feeder work/control work what does it include???

JeffD

If the 400-500 hours does not include and feeder work/control work what does it include???

Good question since everyone includes different items in their labor units. Generators seem to chew up a lot more time than I used to think so I had to keep increasing my labor on them. I'm assuming (8) sets of 600 with some spare conduits in the layout. Any other questions let me know.

I include terminations in the equipment numbers and pulling the wire elsewhere:

qty hrs
2mw genset - 222 hrs
setting genset 1 ls 40 40
600 mcm termination 32 ea 1.25 40
Ground wire terminations 8 ea 0.75 6
Control wire termination 1 ls 24 24
pad layout 1 ea 12 12
Testing / check out 1 ls 80 80
rigging labor for ec 1 ea 8 8
ground rods 2 ea 2 4
cad welds 4 ea 2 8

3000 amp ats - 192 hrs
600 mcm termination 96 ea 1.25 120
setting ats 1 ea 24 24
Ground wire terminations 32 ea 0.75 24

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Good question since everyone includes different items in their labor units. Generators seem to chew up a lot more time than I used to think so I had to keep increasing my labor on them. I'm assuming (8) sets of 600 with some spare conduits in the layout. Any other questions let me know.

I include terminations in the equipment numbers and pulling the wire elsewhere:

qty hrs
2mw genset - 222 hrs
setting genset 1 ls 40 40
600 mcm termination 32 ea 1.25 40
Ground wire terminations 8 ea 0.75 6
pad layout 1 ea 12 12
Testing / check out 1 ls 80 80
rigging labor for ec 1 ea 8 8
ground rods 2 ea 2 4
cad welds 4 ea 2 8

3000 amp ats - 192 hrs
600 mcm termination 96 ea 1.25 120
setting ats 1 ea 24 24
Ground wire terminations 32 ea 0.75 24

What I am asking is NOT including any labor for controls/ feeders/terminations what other labor is involved in installing a 2MW genset. I know assiting the rigger, setting in place but I'm noe sure what else. What are your 222 hours for?

wamegojim

The 222 or more hours include procurement and installation. A genset that size will need the lines connected, enclosures set, muffler set, etc.

JeffD

What I am asking is NOT including any labor for controls/ feeders/terminations what other labor is involved in installing a 2MW genset. I know assiting the rigger, setting in place but I'm noe sure what else. What are your 222 hours for?

The 222 hrs is the total of what is below. Transfering from excel the formats didn't work out too well. Below should have column headers "work scope" "qty" "unit" "unit cost" "total hrs". Adding them all up come to the 222 hrs. If you have items elsewhere you can pick and choose what you want and compare it to what you came up with.

The same goes for the ATS.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

what's 2meg.... 6k amps at 480 3phase..... roughly...
now, you want to know how many hours it takes to install a piece of heavy electrical equipment, but not doing any of the electrical work.

riggers don't need much assistance, and the ones i've worked with mainly want you to leave them alone.

so, are you gonna do anything besides broker the deal, and stand there while it's set? how long does that take?

there's a foot thick slab, and welding embedments, and ground spools, and chemical grounds, or a ground
grid, and cadwelds and conduits, like a couple dozen 4" from the genset to the ats, and from the ats to the
MSG, and a fuel tank, and testing and commissioning, and .....

and a load bank is absolutely necessary if you don't want to wet stack the diesel cycling it every week unloaded.
most of those are tiered 25% - 100% in stages..... there's a ton of stuff there in pipe, wire, and such.

none of that you want to know about... just how much time to put in for..... what?

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
what's 2meg.... 6k amps at 480 3phase..... roughly...
now, you want to know how many hours it takes to install a piece of heavy electrical equipment, but not doing any of the electrical work.

riggers don't need much assistance, and the ones i've worked with mainly want you to leave them alone.

so, are you gonna do anything besides broker the deal, and stand there while it's set? how long does that take?

there's a foot thick slab, and welding embedments, and ground spools, and chemical grounds, or a ground
grid, and cadwelds and conduits, like a couple dozen 4" from the genset to the ats, and from the ats to the
MSG, and a fuel tank, and testing and commissioning, and .....

and a load bank is absolutely necessary if you don't want to wet stack the diesel cycling it every week unloaded.
most of those are tiered 25% - 100% in stages..... there's a ton of stuff there in pipe, wire, and such.

none of that you want to know about... just how much time to put in for..... what?

THanks your the best.:happyno:.....BESIDES CONDUIT AND WIRES and was wondering what other labor was required to install a genset. THere is no assemble of a genset, correct? IT gets rigged as one unit. So I am assuming besides ALL the CONDUIT, WIRE, ATS, CONTROLS ETC( which is A LOT..I know). work actually involving installing a generator is minimal.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I agree it sounds light. You are talking around 400-500 hrs for the genset and ats. That does not count the feeders, control wiring, genset pad, rigging, fuel, work/rework normal gear, etc.[/QUOTJeff, so if the 400-500 hours DOES NOT include ANY conduit/wire controls etc. needed for the genset, switchgear etc. what are those hours for? THanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.