Modification to Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed a strip heater, and ran 3/4" EMT to the temination point, the housing already had a 1/2" KO so I punch out the area for 3/4", does this damage the UL approval for the equipment?

Thank you,

Glenn Easterly:smile:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If that damages the ul listing then you wouldn't be able to install conduit into many commercial panelboard since the cabinets come unpunched.

Don't loose sleep over that-- you are fine with that install.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Glenn Easterly said:
I installed a strip heater, and ran 3/4" EMT to the temination point, the housing already had a 1/2" KO so I punch out the area for 3/4", does this damage the UL approval for the equipment?

Thank you,

Glenn Easterly:smile:

It is up to the AHJ to approve your field modification. The UL Lable simply says the equipment was built to the listing standards when it left the factory. UL has no way to know if you modified the hole corrcetly (i.e. using a punch) or not (i.e. deforming the housing).

templdl

More appropriately if it is a UL listed factory modification, no problem unless it must be factory installed or by a factory authorized person.
However, it is very likely that the heaters(s) aren't even component listed UL but the thermostat is.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
templdl said:
More appropriately if it is a UL listed factory modification, no problem unless it must be factory installed or by a factory authorized person.

According to what the UL website says, even they cannot make blanket statements about field modifications that they have not specifically tested, but they are willing to assist the AHJ if it is deemed necessary. Even factory authorized persons can not make field modifications carte blance.

Modification to Equipment

jim dungar said:
It is up to the AHJ to approve your field modification. The UL Lable simply says the equipment was built to the listing standards when it left the factory. UL has no way to know if you modified the hole corrcetly (i.e. using a punch) or not (i.e. deforming the housing).

Thanks' for the feed back!

Status
Not open for further replies.