dumpster diving

dumpster diving

I consider going to the re-strore high class dumpster diving :D

paint $1-5 / gallon
brush or roller $1-5
backboard $1-5
------------------
$3-15 materials

Misc. wire, fittings, fixtures, bulbs, etc...

you may want to consider samsung staron or other similar solid surface countertop material

countertop being of correct width will reduce the number of cuts required.

roller or spray should increase efficiency

usually 2x4 mounted at top and bottom behind panel is good enough

mdshunk

tonyou812 said:
I could be mistaken but it looks like your wires might be what some consider bundling. Are those Jimmy straps? and are they rated for romex?
Colorado Jim's are checked out for Romex, but they look like Stackers to me in his picture.

tonyou812

Denis said:
I consider going to the re-strore high class dumpster diving :D

paint $1-5 / gallon
brush or roller $1-5
backboard $1-5
------------------
$3-15 materials

Misc. wire, fittings, fixtures, bulbs, etc...

you may want to consider samsung staron or other similar solid surface countertop material

countertop being of correct width will reduce the number of cuts required.

roller or spray should increase efficiency

usually 2x4 mounted at top and bottom behind panel is good enough
It may be enough but not very Pretty for $ 2500 and up

mdshunk

e57 said:
No basements in my area - but why install a back-board at all? :-?
Tradition, mainly. Plus, it's really the only way with stone foundations, which are very prevalent. Probably 75% of service changes involve basements with stone foundations in the northeast.

edit...added 'northeast' qualifier.

Last edited:

e57

mdshunk said:
Tradition, mainly. Plus, it's really the only way with stone foundations, which are very prevalent. Probably 75% of service changes involve basements with stone foundations in the northeast.

edit...added 'northeast' qualifier.

Hmmmm... Stone walls - I could see that..... :wink: Uneven surfaces etc....

quogueelectric

e57 said:
Hmmmm... Stone walls - I could see that..... :wink: Uneven surfaces etc....

Did you ever try to staple to a stone? This is the main reason. Screw a surface mount gfi box to stone? Get it now? :wink: Oh btw you need a certification card to use the hilti bing bang zoom gun too in my area. Welcome to new york.

Last edited:

tonyou812

mdshunk said:
Colorado Jim's are checked out for Romex, but they look like Stackers to me in his picture.
oooooohhh yea they are stackers, had to turn up the brightness on my screen a bit. That looks real nice, never though of using them like that. It looks alot neater than stapling them all in a row. nice work

electricmanscott

Here is my view on this...If you did 200 services a year and paid X $$ for painting backboards .... I would say charge the same price and do not paint the backboards and you just saved X $$ for the company.

I have never painted a backboard and never will. The reality is the new plywood is still nicer than any pther part of the old dingy basement.

I understand the point of trying to sell a nicer product, the problem is that the average customer doesn't.

iwire

Staff member
stickboy1375 said:
Imagine mounting all this to concrete...

No big deal with the right tools. :)

But I like a back board for residential panels as well. I have a stone foundation so my back board is actually 4' by 8' x 3/4" mounted horizontally with a few coats of white paint. Room for panels, phone, cable and an EBU. :cool:

emahler

mdshunk said:
They might not, but I'm already near the high end of the market from a price standpoint. Any other material would justify a higher price, but I'm not certain that it is one the market would bear. I might legitimately have to add in 80 or 100 bucks to the price for a nice painted backboard with nicely routered edges. It was mostly an experiment, is all. If I can figure out a way to get these things cut, routered, and painted for almost nothing, I'll be using them.

I haven't read through the responses yet..but one of our supply houses here in the NE sells painted boards for around $25, ready to go...not routered mind you, but nice and painted...looks good...

emahler

electricmanscott said:
Here is my view on this...If you did 200 services a year and paid X $$ for painting backboards .... I would say charge the same price and do not paint the backboards and you just saved X $$ for the company.

I have never painted a backboard and never will. The reality is the new plywood is still nicer than any pther part of the old dingy basement.

I understand the point of trying to sell a nicer product, the problem is that the average customer doesn't.

someone will come along with the correct code, but if i'm correct the reason for painting the wood isn't aesthetics, but rather the paint is supposed to be fire retardant...it's to keep the wood from burning...

iwire

Staff member
emahler said:
someone will come along with the correct code, but if i'm correct the reason for painting the wood isn't aesthetics, but rather the paint is supposed to be fire retardant...it's to keep the wood from burning...

There is no NEC rule for that and IMO it is just one of those things that many people think is code but it is really just a 'we always do it that way' tradition.

I have seen it in job specs 'shall be painted with fire resistant paint' etc.

emahler

iwire said:
There is no NEC rule for that and IMO it is just one of those things that many people think is code but it is really just a 'we always do it that way' tradition.

I have seen it in job specs 'shall be painted with fire resistant paint' etc.

that could be what i'm thinking of...could be building code...could be ICC, UCC, who knows...or it could be a fantasy in my head...i don't know....

JohnJ0906

emahler said:

Use FR plywood. I doubt the paint most people used is fire resistant. If anything, it would make it easier to burn.

This might be in the building codes, I don't know. I always see FR ply in commercial, but never in residential. :-? And rarely painted.

iwire

Staff member
JohnJ0906 said:
This might be in the building codes, I don't know. I always see FR ply in commercial, but never in residential. :-? And rarely painted.

I agree, I can see a building code requiring FR plywood in some construction types, but not in typical dwelling units. :)

480sparky

emahler said:

Probably someone started doing that because early in their career they did a job where that was spec'ed.
They were told to 'Paint these backer boards with this fire-retardant paint."
"Why?", asks the apprentice.
"Because we're required to." is the foremans' response.

Status
Not open for further replies.