Human Nature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emahler

frizbeedog said:
Well, That's interesting. Mabey you're the problem.

maybe;) guess you'll have to do he research:D

truth is, my son deserves better...and i want to give him better than billing $50 or $60 an hour will ever afford him....

Last edited:

hardworkingstiff

emahler said:
lou, i think i've posted it before...but I would argue that a well run 5-10 man shop, with an actual office/shop and all the associated overhead, actually has a lower overhead per man hour rate than a comparable 1 man shop...

now the 1 man shop that doesn't have insurance (because it's too expensive) or take vacations (can't afford them) or any of the many other items most guys wouldn't dream about working for someone else without, yet think nothing of working for themselves without, might have a lower overhead per man hour rate...but they have given up a lot to get that rate...

guys always mistake Gross OH $ for OH/man hour $....and they are 2 different things...

in many cases, a 10 man shop can make more money on a lower rate than a comparable 1 man shop...

I agree with this. It is dependant on a steady workload.

Most one man shops don't consider paperwork time, home office, etc. as O/H. That is a mistake. I happen to understand it. I charge as if I have the O/H of a building, and pocket that money. Instead of paying for a building, I put it in the stock market (this is the subject of a different coversation though).

frizbeedog

emahler said:
...off doing something that I really love...

It was this part that was interesting.

People who have a bit of self loathing often are.... Preachy? Critical? Whiny?

Just a thought, since this thread was about Human Nature?

hardworkingstiff

celtic said:
I am in 100% agreement here.

If you refuse to educate yourself ..fine...you don't have to.
Emahler and a few others willing offer their views on the whole "pricing and business" concept free of charge. You don't have to agree with the position ~ but you would be a fool to not consider what is being said.

Being an EC is not about pulling wire and drilling holes, it is about running a successful and profitable business. There are volumes written on how to apply the NEC to any job condition, how many of us EC's education has stopped at the NEC and the associated volumes?
While it is important to understand the NEC, do you understand how to run a business? How is that accomplished? Trial and error...and the error part resulting in lost profit or worse ~ your shirt? If that is your approach, you are doomed....doomed to follow in the footsteps of other contractors that swing a hammer like a champ but not understand the business of contracting in the least. I am curious to know what the last book/author on business some of you have read is...and when?

If you don't like the sermon, hit the ignore button and continue to keep your head in the sand....while your other end is exposed waiting to be violated.

Preach on!

Well said Celtic!

celtic

hardworkingstiff said:
Well said Celtic!

What can I say?

I have been learning from a couple of, IMSO, the finest minds on these forums (although their character is highly questionable :D)

emahler

frizbeedog said:
It was this part that was interesting.

People who have a bit of self loathing often are.... Preachy? Critical? Whiny?

Just a thought, since this thread was about Human Nature?

possibly...but maybe when hit with some truth, people get defensive and shut down? human nature ?

cadpoint

celtic said:
What can I say?

I have been learning from a couple of, IMSO, the finest minds on these forums (although their character is highly questionable :D)

Lets see, I'd like to have one forums member records.. (work history records)

I think I'd like to have your copy of years of your bids, lol...

I do know I'd like to work with quite a few of my fellow posters, to see there operations and get a real taste of their approach to electric work.

Reading here daily gives me a great insight, broadens my horizons and is just great over-all for me. I 've read book reviews and ordered most all posted books stated here. I've saved almost all manufactures sites, tools and equipment and etc, If one hasn't started then why not ?

If one doesn't crack there Code book here daily due to a thread reading, well IMO there not reading progressively, and frankly ponder why read at all. :roll:

I've told the Crew, nothing, I've told my old co-workers, nothing. Some you can lead to the H?O, but we all know the rest of the story,
Human Nature.

emahler

celtic said:
What can I say?

i am highly insulted that you would question Mr. Haskin's character:D

you know what's funny? when some guy who never posted in one of these threads sends an email or pm thanking you for the information...he took it and ran with it...that's the best part...

emahler

cadpoint said:
Lets see, I'd like to have one forums member records.. (work history records)

I think I'd like to have your copy of years of your bids, lol...

I do know I'd like to work with quite a few of my fellow posters, to see there operations and get a real taste of their approach to electric work.

Reading here daily gives me a great insight, broadens my horizons and is just great over-all for me. I 've read book reviews and ordered most all posted books stated here. I've saved almost all manufactures sites, tools and equipment and etc, If one hasn't started then why not ?

If one doesn't crack there Code book here daily due to a thread reading, well IMO there not reading progressively, and frankly ponder why read at all. :roll:

I've told the Crew, nothing, I've told my old co-workers, nothing. Some you can lead to the H?O, but we all know the rest of the story,
Human Nature.

and that's it in a nutshell....the information is there...learn from it or ignore it...choice is yours...

mivey

cadpoint said:
Human Nature.
"You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead."-- Stan Laurel

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
In October of 2007 emahler challenged my nature of working for low-ball small shops (EC), or operating my own business. His comments matched my own observatons, I reconsidered if my livelihood supported my family. I agreed it did not.

emahler said:
nothing good will come out of this direction you are heading. you will spend the next few years getting beat up and **** on by your "customers".....you will live hand to mouth till then...then you will finally have enough and take a job working for another EC...but by then you will have spent your prime earning and learning years chasing nickels and getting bitter.

take a job with a reputable C-10..earn a good salary...learn how to run a business (pricing, estimating, project management, etc)...get your C-10...then go out on you own...

Not a bad idea, if reputable C-10's that pay a good salary are available and hiring.

celtic

emahler said:
you know what's funny? when some guy who never posted in one of these threads sends an email or pm thanking you for the information...he took it and ran with it...that's the best part...

I find it interesting that many of the posts are truly altruistic.

Do you feel insulted now?

;)

tonyou812

Hey guys you really shouldnt get upset with Emaler. He really is only trying to help all of us. His only problem sometimes is in his delivery. Before your egos get bumped stop, take a breath and carefully read what he is saying. I for one almost feel obligated in sending him a check for all his "consulting work". In just a few weeks he has helped me more than any college course has in the past. (Yea I went to school for 4 years but that was a long time ago).

For example up untill a week ago I thought I was doing good by charging 17- 1800 dollars of a 100 -200 amp service change, all the while never realizing that I was acually selling myself short, way short. after a few discussions with Emaler and Celtic they explained to me what a more appropriate price and I wont have to work like a donkey to stay ahead. As a matter of fact just yesterday I got a call for a service change with a few other things and I told the lady that a typical service change starts at 2700 and goes up depending on some other factors. And to my AMAZEMENT she didnt seem that taken back. Im going there Monday to give her a better estimate on it and the other stuff she is looking to get done so this has the potential in becoming a 4500- 5000 dollar job for me. for two days work thats pretty good for me.

If this was pre disscusion with Emaler/Celtic It would have been in the 3000 dollar neighbohood. So yea at first my ego was bruised but I learned something from it.

tonyou812

Oh yea and that call I got from the lady in Morris Plains was the first call from a very expensive advertising attempt. I was starting to think that I was going to take a bath on it. This job has more than paid for it. I hope more come in. Any way to celebrate I took the old lady out .

Hey Eric were do I send your cut?

celtic

tonyou812 said:
As a matter of fact just yesterday I got a call for a service change with a few other things and I told the lady that a typical service change starts at 2700 and goes up depending on some other factors. And to my AMAZEMENT she didnt seem that taken back. Im going there Monday to give her a better estimate on it and the other stuff she is looking to get done so this has the potential in becoming a 4500- 5000 dollar job for me. for two days work thats pretty good for me.
That sounds very familiar to the PM conversation we recently had :grin:

I'm glad it's working out....maybe someday you'll send me a pie ~ LOL.

tonyou812 said:
If this was pre disscusion with Emaler/Celtic It would have been in the 3000 dollar neighbohood. So yea at first my ego was bruised but I learned something from it.
I suppose I could polish my act, but then it would appear to be all fluff with no fill.... we live in the "Get It Now/ Instant Gratificaton" era...I understand that.
These forums might be the only place where you actually get the steak w/o the sizzle ~ at the price you want to pay. :)

tonyou812

I really cant tell some of you guys how fortunate I feel to have something like this to help me out. In the old days and I mean old they used to have what they called Guilds for tradesman and the like were people would go and talk shop and other things. Well instead of a building we have this forum and without it, I really would have been clueless on alot of things. I really dont think that alot of guys are underselling themselves on purpose or just to get the work, I really think they just dont know. And instead of getting mad just try on your next service call to get more money than you normally would. I promise that alot of you will be surprised. Just look the customer in the eye and give your price with confidence or say it with confidence on the phone and youll get it.

anyway Cheers guys and thanks
Hey Celtic if your ever in the Caldwells area I would be happy to buy you some beers or dinner.But nothing fancy I hear your not really a fancy guy, more like Mell Gibsons friend from Braveheart, the big burlly guy who gets hit in the head with a rock......LOL LOL LOL

Last edited:

celtic

tonyou812 said:
Hey Celtic if your ever in the Caldwells area I would be happy to buy you some beers or dinner.But nothing fancy I hear your not really a fancy guy, more like Mell Gibsons friend from Braveheart, the big burlly guy who gets hit in the head with a rock......LOL LOL LOL
How does next Sunday sound?
You might want to bring along one of these:
amex-black-card-centurion.jpg

Centurion Card

....after a few dozen of these:
Mickey%27sBigMouth.gif

..we may find ourselves front row for the boys:
meanestoftimes.jpg

LOL

j/k Tony....we'll catch up w/each other someday :)

celtic

tonyou812 said:
Anytime man , any time Im more of a Guiness/ Pogues kind of guy.
Well then we'll just have to straighten you out then won't we LOL :D :D :D

Seriously though...I can't believe Emahler is still tying to find out if I insulted him or not (#53) LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.