Complete Home Wiring books

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrannis

dSilanskas said:
So I was at the mall today killing time while my gf was doing her shoping and I thought that I would take a look at one of those wiring books that home owners can buy. Have you guys ever read what people right in there? Well one thing was they where showing how to cut the sheath off of a wire using a razor knife lol. And they where showing how to ground to the water pipe. So they showed a diagram and it was of a water tank and they showed both water pipes and a ground wire jumping to both pipes and they said that is was 2005 NEC code that you had to do that. Hmmm odd I never heard of that haha. My point I guess is that a little knowlege can be very dangerous:roll:

Wow, I cant believe you professional Romex guys would use a razer knife!
I have been pulling the ground down with my sidecutters to strip the jacket and then cutting it off. Then I found out they make a stripper with the notch that strips the whole thing. Thought thats how it was done!
I would never have thought of pulling a razer knife on a piece of Romex. You guys are good!

76nemo

jrannis said:
Wow, I cant believe you professional Romex guys would use a razer knife!
I have been pulling the ground down with my sidecutters to strip the jacket and then cutting it off. Then I found out they make a stripper with the notch that strips the whole thing. Thought thats how it was done!
I would never have thought of pulling a razer knife on a piece of Romex. You guys are good!

I will just pull a blade down the center/ground and pull the sheath back. I never round the cable with a blade.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
i carry one tool for wire-stripping.

swiss-army-everything.jpg

its a simple 12 step process.

rexsx

new guy here

new guy here

I Don't know of any electrician that hasnt scored a wire while removing the outer jacket, if its inside of the box tape it, outside pull it out and replace it,,

just my thoughts

mivey

76nemo said:
Follow the ground for an inch, and then score, not penetrate another 5. Peel and eat:grin: Better than paint chips;)

I score then dig deep at the end.

Denis

Denis

stripping

stripping

use automatic strippers to avoid damage to conductors

does anyone use knipex???

mivey

Denis said:
use automatic strippers to avoid damage to conductors

does anyone use knipex???
Too fancy for me. I have even used my teeth on LV wire sometimes!:grin:

RHJohnson

How many of you guys using those sheet rockers knives leave a blood trail on the job sites. Kinda like "Kilroy was here"!

gndrod

true blood

true blood

RHJohnson said:
How many of you guys using those sheet rockers knives leave a blood trail on the job sites. Kinda like "Kilroy was here"!

Depends on what they are being used for. Slitting throats is another story. Been scoring since 1965 and never had a problem. rbj

Status
Not open for further replies.