Ahj?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MR. S

OK, Friday had a discussion (argument)at work; according to the NEC, who is the AHJ the state electrical inspector or the local inspectors? On the following Saturday I went to a CEU course and the same subject came up, and a lot of different opinions were voiced. Can anybody shed some light on the subject? Mr. S

mdshunk

480sparky said:
I've done some jobs where the architect or engineer hires their own 'AHJ'.
I think I've had that "pleasure". You've got the code inspector on one hand, and the "spec inspector" on the other. Government jobs are good for ambushing you with that guy too.

480sparky

mdshunk said:
I think I've had that "pleasure". You've got the code inspector on one hand, and the "spec inspector" on the other. Government jobs are good for ambushing you with that guy too.

Try doing an elevator here in Iowa... two inspections. One from the state mechanical, other from fire marshal. Both have their own set of rules, and they contradict each other.

So we do it one way, call for an inspect. Get the OK, then do it the other and call for another inspect. Funny thing is, they both know about each other and that their rules don't jive, but neither one is willing to give....:mad: :mad: :mad:

BackInTheHabit

MR. S said:
OK, Friday had a discussion (argument)at work; according to the NEC, who is the AHJ the state electrical inspector or the local inspectors? On the following Saturday I went to a CEU course and the same subject came up, and a lot of different opinions were voiced. Can anybody shed some light on the subject? Mr. S

I believe that a local electrical inspector is also a State electrical Inspector. All inspectors in KY are State Electrical Inspectors. Electrical inspections fall under the Office of Housing Building and Construction under the State Fire Marshall's office. http://www.ohbc.ky.gov/fp/ei/default.htm

I believe that is also true for Connecticut. It looks like the inspectors fall under the authority of the Division of Consumer Protection. Which, as I read it, your local electrical inspectors are State electrical inspectors.
http://www.ct.gov/dcp/cwp/view.asp?a=1624&Q=276060&PM=1

When considering AHJ and electrical inspectors, I think we have to take into consideration all of the other departments they are beholding to. Such as: local ordinances, State building codes, Fire Marshalls etc. Also, State laws supercede local laws.

AHJ is a broad term and there will always be deliberation as such.

Disclaimer: Certain conditions apply.

quogueelectric

We can either hire a private nfpa inspection company for about a hundred bucks or the local town inspector will do it for free EXEPT Southhampton town who doesnt accept nfpa private inspectors. I believe that state and federal properties are exempt from this and are subject to thier own standards of inspection. For example I think powerplants are inspected by federal authorities like the dept of energy but I am not sure about that.

mdshunk

I guess a lot of guys are confused, thinking that they guy who comes out to look over their work is the AHJ, when in reality he more than likely is an employee or agent of the AHJ.

quogueelectric

Minuteman said:
No nukes here. Natural Gas is King. We have one Hydro plant and the rest burn Gas.
He probably doesnt have jurisdiction there either. It is my understanding that powerplants are under federal jurisdiction. Much to my surprise wirenuts are not often used in the plant I worked in mostly tape to terminate an unlanded wire yet if it was landed mostly terminal strips and crimped connectors quality and safety job one. Aircraft quality crimps for much of what I saw.

jwelectric

Building contractor hires me to install a system that meets code in a new house. The only print is a layout of the kitchen and bath counters.
When I arrive on the job site I am the only person within a mile of the house and will be the only person there until the rough-in is complete.

I AM THE AHJ AT THAT POINT IN TIME!!!!!!!! :grin:

brian john

Let him try pedaling that card in a nuke plant they will not even let him on site.

I was on a federal job 30+ years ago in a commercially owned building and the AHJ showed up for an inspection, a US Army Colonel refused entry to the inspector. I never understood why the colonel did this. Anyway the electrical inspector explained that this was a commercial building not a federally owned building and a permit was pulled and needed to be inspected. NO ENTRY allowed.

The inspector called the fire marshall, the fire marshall was apprised of the situation and asked to be allowed entry. He was refused, at which point the police were called to arrest the colonel. Once the police arrived the colonel changed his mind.

Generally the area issuing the permit knows their limits, though I have had the wrong AHJ issue a permit for a building in an another area...Like 2 weeks ago. City located in a county, there are some grey areas.

dcspector

Pierre C Belarge said:
Very well said!!!

Pierre and Marc most agreed. The AHJ is the Building Official or Building Commissioner not an inspector.... Now in a small unstructured town, the Inspector could be all of the above, plus be the Mayor, Sheriff, Justice of Peace, etc.....welcome to Mayberry I reckon.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
In my opinion the AHJ is not a real person...it is the legal entity that has the authority to adopt and enforce the code.

Status
Not open for further replies.