• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
georgestolz said:
You need practice - you gave me a two-option poll that I can vote for both on. :D

I hope you fixed it.:D

Roger

quogueelectric

tryinghard said:
I'm asking you specifically how many #12's can/will you install in your 3 gang switch box, counting the switches of course which happen to be deco style?
You seem to be eluding to that it cant be done. How did all those commercial buildings go up with 12 wire all over the world without 14 wire?? You just wire them normally and lay your wires in so they wont short out to anything. Flip the switch and the lights come on.

mivey

tryinghard said:
I'm asking you specifically how many #12's can/will you install in your 3 gang switch box, counting the switches of course which happen to be deco style?
Asking the same questions will get you the same answers unless you provide some additional info:
mivey said:
"How many #12's": As many as I need?
mivey said:
...deco? How are the art deco switches a problem? If you talking about the old stacked despar switches-I never had a problem. If you are talking about decora switches-never had problems with them either

iwire

Staff member
mivey said:
Asking the same questions will get you the same answers unless you provide some additional info:

It appears from your posts that you are unaware of NEC box sizing requirements.

From an NEC perspective 12 AWG takes up more space then 14 AWG.

iwire

Staff member
quogueelectric said:
You seem to be eluding to that it cant be done.

No he seems to be asking how the box size was chosen. :)

How did all those commercial buildings go up with 12 wire all over the world without 14 wire??

They used the right size box for the job at hand. :)

quogueelectric

Poll says 83% to 25% so some people did vote both answers. There should be more options on the poll tho. I dont always use 14 and I dont always use 12 each job is different and 12 is an upgrade in price not too much tho.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
quogueelectric said:
Poll says 83% to 25% so some people did vote both answers. There should be more options on the poll tho. I dont always use 14 and I dont always use 12 each job is different and 12 is an upgrade in price not too much tho.

Back peddling are we ? :grin: :grin: :grin:

Roger

wireman71

Only thing in my opinion that you have to plan for is plugging in that 9 amp vacuum. I'm not even sure they really pull that much. Never put a amp probe on one. I've never tripped a breaker with my vacuum either and I live in apartments wired to be the cheapest possible. I say wire how you want but at the end of the day if you are writing bids you will either lose money or be able to charge more because of your "quality" #12 wiring. EVERY expensive house I've showed up on is wired in #14 and stab backed receps. Course they are Leviton stab backs which in my opinion are better than the other brands.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
bikeindy said:
Well that poll has nothing to do with my original post, Thanks.

Well alot of the posts in this thread have nothing to do with your original post. :wink:

If you would like, I'll remove the poll just let me know.

Roger

bikeindy

roger said:
Well alot of the posts in this thread have nothing to do with your original post. :wink:

If you would like, I'll remove the poll just let me know.

Roger

I understand that but I don't thing the poll with its limited amount of choice helps the discussion. I can't vote.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Minuteman said:
Son, you gotta a lot a water to carry before you get even CLOSE to being as good as me.

:wink:

:grin: :grin: :grin: the only way to settle this i'm afraid is a wire-off! do we have any moderators that look like david bowie who can judge this thing?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
bikeindy said:
I understand that but I don't thing the poll with its limited amount of choice helps the discussion. I can't vote.

Well, I figured a "Do You" or "Don't You" poll would give pure answers.

I'll remove it at 6:30 EST in the morning and I apologize for attaching it to your thread

Now, I don't understand why some of you can't vote.

Roger

mivey

iwire said:
It appears from your posts that you are unaware of NEC box sizing requirements.'.
Oooo sorry there iwire. Swing and a miss. Keep trying:)

[edit: clarity]

Last edited:

bikeindy

roger said:
I don't understand why some of you can't vote.

Roger

I can vote for the top choice but it doesn't tell what I am trying to convey in this discussion.

Minuteman can't vote because while he does the second choice it is because the Big brothers in his area make him do it.

I used to think 20amps all the way, but that was in commercial and I only used stranded. When I started doing houses, I found the #12solid romex was a bear to work with. I use #14 and a 15amp circuit whenever possible in residential.

Status
Not open for further replies.