What would you call the room ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I have a small remodel where the wall between kitchen and living room was removed, now there is just one big room with kitchen cabinets on one side and a fireplace on the other. No dining room. The plans just show the room with the cabinet lay out , no designation as to what the rooms are called. Would this need to have all the receptacles on small appliance branch circuit ?

resistance

It's still a livingroom, if your remodel work plans didn't change the layout of your existing livingroom space.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
acrwc10 said:
Would this need to have all the receptacles on small appliance branch circuit ?
I would say no. Specifically, you can use 15 amp circuits to supply receptacles on the LR side of the space, and you can share such circuits with the overhead light(s) on that side.

JohnJ0906

LawnGuyLandSparky said:
I'm waiting for the "If the house was wired with #12 awg, like it should have, this wouldn't be an issue" from the 20-amp camp... :grin:

Actually, although I would usually wire a living room with #14, in this case, I might wire the living room side receptacles with a separate 20 amp circuit. In effect, another SA circuit, just to avoid any interpretation issues.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
quogueelectric said:
When everything is wired in 12.

There are city's that require "no wire smaller then #12" Pacifica CA is one. personally I don't see the need for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.