I paid $3.409 for gas today. what it is where you're at?

Status
Not open for further replies.

macmikeman

We are somewhere like $3.50 for at least a year now. Its 10 per cent alcohol, and mileage has dropped by at least 10% for cars across the board because of that. Another example of how goverment intrusion into the marketplace improves everything.

iwire

Staff member
$4.00 bucks for diesel in the Boston MA area.

Worse I just filled my homes oil tank at a cost of $762.00. :mad:

When I moved here 8 years ago I was paying $0.90 per gal, now it is $3.50.

mdshunk

Rewire said:
Saw an Amish buggy go buy yesterday and I thought how could I mount the ladder racks.
They have those around here. There's an Amish handyman in my town who has his buggy (more like a wagon, actually) made totally out of diamond plate aluminium and has all the same tools on board any carpenter does, just pulled by 2 horses instead of one.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
The Lancaster, PA costco has parking spaces with hitching posts for buggy parking.

The Amish are not anti-technology; far from it; look at the lighting systems used on the buggies. They are often early adopters of technology, but the specifically shun tech that doesn't fit into the culture that they are trying to maintain.

A big part of why gas prices hurt so much now is that we've made life and job choices based upon cheap gas. The 'ideal' gas mileage (trade-off between performance, capacity, efficiency), the 'ideal' place to live (commute distance), the ideal amount of home insulation, etc. all change with fuel costs. In many ways, the Amish act as though externally supplied fuel is very expensive. It would be an interesting experiment to live for a month as if fuel were $10 or $20 per gallon.

-Jon

growler

mdshunk said:
They have those around here. There's an Amish handyman in my town who has his buggy (more like a wagon, actually) made totally out of diamond plate aluminium and has all the same tools on board any carpenter does, just pulled by 2 horses instead of one.

Just how do the Amish operate the air compressor for the nail guns without electricity? I guess you could use a hand pump but that would defeat the purpose.

Just wondering. We don't have many Amish around here.

iwire

Staff member
growler said:
Just how do the Amish operate the air compressor for the nail guns without electricity?

I am no expert but maybe diesel compressor?

I saw a TV show that went to an Amish cabinet shop and all the tools there where powered hydraulically from a diesel engine outside. :-?

480sparky

gasprices.jpg

dduffee260

Deisel was $3.88 here today. As long as the current administration keep filling up the strategic reserves, there will be no end in sight. If China starts filling up a strategic reserve, which they are talking about. The sky will be the limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.