Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: # bend saddles

# bend saddles

Any of you guys who run conduit a lot, make your 3 bend saddles using 15,30,15 degree bends? Or am I all mixed up and everyone does it with
    22 1/2, 45, 22 1/2 degree bends. Curious. Mine are'nt workin' out.

S

My advice.... Don't bend that saddle at all, they S**K to pull through. Find another way if at all possible. If you must do it (and there are times when you have no other choice) Barbeer's link is a very good guide.
    Good Luck
    Jim

pretty cool link. theres bend in that ive never seen

Quote Originally Posted by sundowner
    Any of you guys who run conduit a lot, make your 3 bend saddles using 15,30,15 degree bends? Or am I all mixed up and everyone does it with
    22 1/2, 45, 22 1/2 degree bends.
    Sorta depends on how many degrees in that pull I'm up to already. Smaller pipe I tend to do 22 1/2, 45, 22 1/2. Bigger pipe I tend to do 15, 30, 15. Also depends on my mood and maybe the phase of the moon. I can't really say that I have a real pattern myself. I try to keep all the 3 point bends in a given area the same, though.

Thanks guys, that is a really good link, just checked it out. My real deal is that I sorta like to only make saddles with my bender going one way-- ya remember from apprentice school the multiplier of three if your to do it this way.. What I can't seem to work out is the inch per rise with this way.

If I'm not explaining this well...here goes, I start at my 4 square box, run over 30 inches to an existing 1 1/2 pipe I want to saddle around.

Could you guys give me your procedure for saddling this with the technique of keeping the bender on the conduit in only one direction. (This is just the way I've been trained to make saddles, mark it out and never take the bender off the pipe...been a long time since I've had to make a saddle like this though.)

Thanks
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Jljohnson
    My advice.... Don't bend that saddle at all, they S**K to pull through. Find another way if at all possible.
    Uni-Strut. I'm thier best customer. Pass right over those other conduits.

I build lots of racks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jljohnson
    My advice.... Don't bend that saddle at all, they S**K to pull through. Find another way if at all possible. If you must do it (and there are times when you have no other choice) Barbeer's link is a very good guide.
    Good Luck

What would make a saddle any harder to pull through than another bend?
    Rob

Chief Moderator

All responses based on the 2011 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by infinity
    What would make a saddle any harder to pull through than another bend?
    Maybe it's not so much the "pulling" that I don't like, but more the "pushing" of the 1/8" steel fish tape. If you don't have a leader installed on your tape they can be a bear to get a fishtape through. I once coaught an apprentice of mine bending 3-point saddles to be installed INSIDE of a steel framed wall. I went ballistic if my memory serves me correctly.
    Jim

IMO a three point saddle is just as easy to pull through as a 90 degree elbow (typically they're 90 degrees worth of bends). Do you install elbows within the walls too?
    Rob

Chief Moderator

All responses based on the 2011 NEC unless otherwise noted