Strip Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveonb

We are installing strip lighting with the fixtures connected end to end using the end plates as couplings. We bring the circuit feeding the row in at one end and bond it there. In your opinion, do we need to run a green wire through the row of lights and to bond each fixture? The inspector believes we do; but I disagree. Below is some information from the manufacturer. Your opinion on this would be helpful and possibly save us extra, unnecessary work.

Strip and strip type fixtures used in continuous rows do not require a solid ground wire in the harness. The fixture to fixture connectors, in this case the end plates; provide a continuous bare metal-to-metal connection which UL recognizes as a method of grounding.

copper chopper

if the manufacturer says this fixture is rated for use as a raceway and I assume you are using metal chase nipples inbetween each fixture then yea your right they are bonded as per manufacterers specifications and you will have to show this to the inspector and make him mad....

pete m.

We are installing strip lighting with the fixtures connected end to end using the end plates as couplings. We bring the circuit feeding the row in at one end and bond it there. In your opinion, do we need to run a green wire through the row of lights and to bond each fixture? The inspector believes we do; but I disagree. Below is some information from the manufacturer. Your opinion on this would be helpful and possibly save us extra, unnecessary work.

Strip and strip type fixtures used in continuous rows do not require a solid ground wire in the harness. The fixture to fixture connectors, in this case the end plates; provide a continuous bare metal-to-metal connection which UL recognizes as a method of grounding.

The code reference for the Inspector would be 110.3(b). If you are installing the fixtures in accordance with the manufacturers instructions you should be good to go.

Pete

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
if the manufacturer says this fixture is rated for use as a raceway and I assume you are using metal chase nipples inbetween each fixture then yea your right they are bonded as per manufacterers specifications and you will have to show this to the inspector and make him mad....

The OP is using the end caps as couplings, which is how the manufacture designed it to work, we finished a Wal-Mart years ago and found cases of 1/2 chase nipples in the job trailer of the contractor that went under. (wonder why he went under:roll:!) As long as the fixture is installed per the manufactures instructions and is UL listed, chase nipples do not have to be used.

masterinbama

The OP is using the end caps as couplings, which is how the manufacture designed it to work, we finished a Wal-Mart years ago and found cases of 1/2 chase nipples in the job trailer of the contractor that went under. (wonder why he went under:roll:!) As long as the fixture is installed per the manufactures instructions and is UL listed, chase nipples do not have to be used.

I don't see the difference in using the end caps as couplings, or installing them as end caps and using chase nipples. The end caps would still have the same slip fit connection. At least that's how it is on most of the strip lighting I've installed.

hillbilly1

Occupation
I don't see the difference in using the end caps as couplings, or installing them as end caps and using chase nipples. The end caps would still have the same slip fit connection. At least that's how it is on most of the strip lighting I've installed.

If your using chase nipples, your wasting a whole lot of time and money, probably why the company we took the job over from, went under. (That and probably the fact they didn't have a clue on how to do electrical work, the entire building was wired in Black,Red,Blue and White.)

masterinbama

If your using chase nipples, your wasting a whole lot of time and money, probably why the company we took the job over from, went under. (That and probably the fact they didn't have a clue on how to do electrical work, the entire building was wired in Black,Red,Blue and White.)

I did some Wal-Marts back when they had drop ceilings and continuous row strips. I liked the way the did their 1/3-1/3-1/3 sales floor lighting. That is as long as your J-men could spell BOY (Brown Orange Yellow)

cadpoint

Like the foggy weather I'm, two things come to mind; first is grounded wire not required above a certain height if maintained by qualified personal.

The second is (can't remember where this one comes from) that all ballast are to be grounded within six inches of said ballast....

I can't beleive that a manufacturer would even try to imply the sound mechanical property's carry forward from what usually amounts to flimsy tab insert on the ends!

Modern Code is bring the extra wire ~

hillbilly1

Occupation
I did some Wal-Marts back when they had drop ceilings and continuous row strips. I liked the way the did their 1/3-1/3-1/3 sales floor lighting. That is as long as your J-men could spell BOY (Brown Orange Yellow)

Thats the way this one was, I used to be able to terminate the fixtures by having someone drive the scissor lift at low speed, and I could crimp on the 567's as we moved down the row without stopping! Could do an entire store in about a day.

kwired

Electron manager
Like the foggy weather I'm, two things come to mind; first is grounded wire not required above a certain height if maintained by qualified personal.

The second is (can't remember where this one comes from) that all ballast are to be grounded within six inches of said ballast....

I can't beleive that a manufacturer would even try to imply the sound mechanical property's carry forward from what usually amounts to flimsy tab insert on the ends!

Modern Code is bring the extra wire ~

Metal parts of the luminaire need to be grounded regardless of height.

Why would 6 inches from ballast make any difference? The entire fixture is grounded no matter where the connection is made.

I agree many fixtures are flimsy but if they are listed to be connected and grounded that way then that is acceptable.

I don't know what you are talking about with modern code either. Rules for this have not really changed over the past 25 years and probably even longer than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.