Thread: Standard 3-Phase Voltages/ Motor sizes

Standard 3-Phase Voltages/ Motor sizes

I was hoping that someone could point me to a site or info source which would tell me what the standard 3-phase voltages and common motor sizes are in Europe and Asia. For example, in North America, the common voltages are 208/230, 460, and 575, all 60HZ, and common motor sizes above 5 HP are 7.5HP, 10HP, 15HP, 20, HP, 25HP, 40HP, 60HP... etc. I know that Europe/Asia is mostly 50Hz and motor sizes are referenced in kW rather than HP, and I was hoping to find a reference to them. Even a pointer to a particular standard would be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by barbeer
    WIKI appears to know single phase, but 3-phase appears to be out of it's sphere of knowledge

An example of what I'm looking for is whether 380, 400, or 415 is most common, and whether there is an Asian or European equivalent to 575 (I've seen 500 and 690 mentioned in places).

The impetus for my question is that the company I work for (which manufactures motor controllers) has traditionally sold into NA markets exclusively, with an occasional one-off going to a European end-user. We are looking to move into the European and Asian markets, and I need to know what design constraints I am working with for series sizes and ratings. I know that for a max 34A FLA rating, I can use my device on a 10HP motor at 208, a 25HP motor at 460, and a 30 HP motor at 575. Looking to figure out what I need to change to accomodate common/standard voltages and sizes in Europe/Asia.

I believe the present (harmonized?) standard for new European systems is 400V. This compromise allows existing 380V equipment to used in its +% tolerance range and 415V to be in its -% range.

I have not seen standard voltages above 500V except in North America, although I do know that some companies make 630V rated breakers.
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Not 100% accurate (apparently, England has no 3 phase according to this!), but close.

http://www.50hz.com/pwchrt1.htm

You need to click on links at the top or bottom of the page for G-M and N-Z country names.

Aside from this, 690V is used overseas (i.e. not N.A.) for some specialized industries such as mining and marine power. 690V is still considered "low voltage", anything higher is Medium Voltage or greater.

In the IEC world, unfortuantely there is no standard KW motor sizes. You will see many different sizes provided by different manufacturers. Also, be careful of the inrush current on start-up as I have seen it as high as 12x rated FLA. They do not use service factors either. The motor will be sized for 110% of the max running load.
    "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you"