washer machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
One 20 amp laundry circuit is all that's required. Look at 210.11(C)(2). Welcome to the forum.:)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I'll put it another way. The primary reason for the "laundry circuit" is to provide power to the washing machine.

elohr46

iwire said:
I would not call it that as it can have as many receptacles connected to it as you want.

2005 nec
art. 210.11(C)(2) "this circut shall have no other outlets". Does this mean that you cannot put the laundry lighting on that circut or is it referring to outlets outside of the laundry room?

thanks, Ed

raider1

Staff member
elohr46 said:
2005 nec
art. 210.11(C)(2) "this circut shall have no other outlets". Does this mean that you cannot put the laundry lighting on that circut or is it referring to outlets outside of the laundry room?

thanks, Ed

Both, 210.11(C)(2) prohibits any other outlets other than receptacle outlets in the laundry area from being installed on the required laundry branch circuit.

Chris

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
elohr46 said:
2005 nec

thanks, Ed

Yes lighting would not be permitted, but an additional receptacle for say an ironing board would be permitted.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Dennis Alwon said:
And that could be on the lighting circuit...Yes???
I would say yes. To be clear, if you have one receptacle installed for the washing machine, you can add a receptacle to be used for ironing, and put it on the laundry circuit. You can, if you wish, put the ironing receptacle on a lighting circuit instead.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
charlie b said:
I would say yes. To be clear, if you have one receptacle installed for the washing machine, you can add a receptacle to be used for ironing, and put it on the laundry circuit. You can, if you wish, put the ironing receptacle on a lighting circuit instead.

I agree, I was just trying to point out that the laundry circuit does not have to be serving only one receptacle.

electricmanscott

charlie b said:

I don't think I agree.

SiddMartin

but, could you put in recept for the ironing board off of the laundry circuit where the top outlet is switched from the wall for a lamp.....
...lighting outlet okay?

*Note: just for discussion

stickboy1375

This is the way I read it, at least ONE 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply the laundry receptacle outlet(s), This circuit shall have no other outlets. I dont see how you can have any thing BUT receptacles on this circuit or anything other than 20 amp receptacle circuits in the laundry room...

SiddMartin

stickboy1375 said:
This is the way I read it, at least ONE 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply the laundry receptacle outlet(s), This circuit shall have no other outlets. I dont see how you can have any thing BUT receptacles on this circuit or anything other than 20 amp receptacle circuits in the laundry room...

how could you even put more recepts on it then? No other outlets would include recepts, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.