Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing XP seal offs efficiently

Installing XP seal offs efficiently

Am going from having done Zer0 seal offs in my electrical career to doing a bunch of them! I need to be able to install them fairly quickly now sooo I could use some tips and ideas on how to fill them with Chico as fast yet as effectively as I can. Any help?

Thanks

Pete

I've heard Crouse-Hinds has an expoxy sealing compound you don't have to mix. I've been told it goes in quickly and clean, but you really pay for that.

Another nice trick is to take the screw cap with funnel from a 1-Qt lube bottle, and an empty plastic soda bottle. Clean the soda bottle, then after you mix the Chico, pour it into the soda bottle and install the cap from the lube bottle onto the soda bottle. Makes pouring the sealoff easily controlled.

Packing those suckers is the most time consuming part. If you don't do it correctly, the Chico goes down the conduit. Make sure your packing doesn't come up too high in the sealoff. Using combo (horizontal/vertical) sealoffs in the vertical is a pain in the butt.

Good luck.
    Lou (wannabe economist)

If you relentlessly pursue perfection, you will eventually catch excellence.

and make sure the conductors all have some packing around them- each individual one- so you don't have voids where they're twisted together
    You can't scare me- I have teenagers

Smile

Paint or mark the hub to indicate it has been filled. Easier to track completion that way.

Remember the fill rules, 25%. Not your customary 40% as in conduit fill. Expanded fill seals or oversized seals with an RE may be a good option.

And please......don't get the Chico on the threads. It makes it hard to inspect......

And please......don't get the Chico on the threads. It makes it hard to inspect
    I have never seen one without Chico on the threads.
    Don
    Don, Illinois
    "It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." B Franklin

Ahhhhh

So you're the guy! I'm watching for you.:wink:

We always (neatly) allowed some chico to spill on the outside of the fitting. Never, in hundreds of sealoffs, were we questioned. The QC witnessed the integrity of the fiber packing on the first few units, and we were good to go!

'quickly' and 'sealoffs' are mutually exclusive words . . .

lol..I love it seal offs are not a speed job..they need quality time, so enjoy.. One goes sweetly and the next one sucks. it is all about the pack so get a #2 pencil w/eraser and use the eraser end to pack the fittings. depends on temp to how much you can mix for pouring..I like to pack several and then go through and pour them..but always mark your fittings..
    Life is temporary, heaven is forever. live life like it is your only chance to make a difference..

to do nothing is the surest way to achieve nothing..

seal offs are not a speed job..they need quality time. One goes sweetly and the next one sucks

Very well put.

Don't recall what Means allows for a sealoff, but it isn't enough.
    Never heard of the #2 pencil eraser trick.
    Last edited by HighWirey; 10-16-07 at 09:23 PM.