Ladder finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

djohns6

Anybody here refinish their fiberglass ladders ? If so , what product do you use ? I have a couple that are " fuzzy " and need a little work .

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Has anyone heard anything about OSHA coming own on ladders whose labelling is illegible? I was wondering if that was made up or on the level.
(Kind of along these same lines.)

480sparky

georgestolz said:
Has anyone heard anything about OSHA coming own on ladders whose labelling is illegible? I was wondering if that was made up or on the level.

I wouldn't say they 'came down' on us, but I had it happen once. They just kindly requested that we apply new labels. If I remember, we ordered from Fastenal. Far cheaper than a new ladder.

Buck Parrish

djohns6 said:
Anybody here refinish their fiberglass ladders ? If so , what product do you use ? I have a couple that are " fuzzy " and need a little work .

Yes, I have repaired them. I have repaired them when the bottom of the legs start splitting. I use fiberglass resin and fiberglass matt. You can get it at the auto supply store or a boat supply place. Just add catalyst to the resin paint it on then take small pieces of matt drenched in resin layer it on and let it harden, better then new.

MAK

buckofdurham said:
Yes, I have repaired them. I have repaired them when the bottom of the legs start splitting. I use fiberglass resin and fiberglass matt. You can get it at the auto supply store or a boat supply place. Just add catalyst to the resin paint it on then take small pieces of matt drenched in resin layer it on and let it harden, better then new.

That is not a good idea if you have employees using that ladder. Fiber glass mat is not for suitable for structural repairs. Also do you know what type of resin you used? If epoxy or an orthothaelic polyester resin was used it is not rated for prolonged UV exposure like what a ladder would go through on top of a roof of a truck. Also what is the ladder made of? Is it epoxy or polyester? Laying wet polyester resin over an epoxy material will weaken the bond of the repair. Styrene in polyester is not good for epoxy.
Not wise to repair considering what is at risk. However a few years ago I would have done the same thing to get it done.

iwire

Staff member
georgestolz said:
Has anyone heard anything about OSHA coming own on ladders whose labeling is illegible? I was wondering if that was made up or on the level.

More or less true, you can not paint a wood ladder.

1926.1053(a)(12)
Wood ladders shall not be coated with any opaque covering, except for identification or warning labels which may be placed on one face only of a side rail.

and there is plenty of interpretation room in this one

1926.1053(b)(16)
Portable ladders with structural defects, such as, but not limited to, broken or missing rungs, cleats, or steps, broken or split rails, corroded components, or other faulty or defective components, shall either be immediately marked in a manner that readily identifies them as defective, or be tagged with "Do Not Use" or similar language, and shall be withdrawn from service until repaired.

djohns6

The ladder is structurally sound . It's just been riding on the top of my van and the UV has deteriorated the gloss . I have some Gloss Restorer from A.B. Chance that is used to refinish hot sticks . It works for a while but it doesn't hold up to the sun either .

cadpoint

djohns6 said:

Fiberglass Ladders, no, it just can't even be fixed, any damaged ladder should be removed. Recycle it otherwise.

One has to remember its a composite broken, It's not a solid, but it is well Dinged!

The Ladder label is its 110.3, Clean and readable from the shop talk lecture as much as I remember...

Fixing a Dnig in a surfboard is sad enough, fix a ladder, no it just doesn't
Rate!

djohns6

cadpoint said:
Fiberglass Ladders, no, it just can't even be fixed, any damaged ladder should be removed. Recycle it otherwise.

One has to remember its a composite broken, It's not a solid, but it is well Dinged!

The Ladder label is its 110.3, Clean and readable from the shop talk lecture as much as I remember...

Fixing a Dnig in a surfboard is sad enough, fix a ladder, no it just doesn't
Rate!
If the manufacturer says that I can refinish it , that's good enough for me .

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
electricmanscott said:
There is no person in this forum that I would want hear speak in person more than cadpoint. :wink:
Yoda?
yoda.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.