Roping in CT Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

e57

Yep - just used a scale ruler - And Al could just about stand inside that disco...

Some of the conductors look a little short in the CT cab (Phase A)

Anyway there is one post that had a pic with "ROPED" ct cab somewhere.... I remebmber it only because I have not roped one in some time now - Most have racks for ties now - like the one shown here.

tonyou812

brian john said:
In a CT cabinet I would thing adequately bundling the conductors would be difficult due the size of the can and mandatory separation caused by the CT's>

I have never felt cable ties served this purpose as ALL cable ties dry rot over time. No matter what the package says.
But by the time they "rot" out, the cables are pretty much petrified into their position.

peter d

chris kennedy said:
Another 3/0 goes to two 10' by 5/8ths copper rods. Thats the 2 round green hand holes.

Why did you run 3/0 to a ground rod? Job spec? I want to scream when I see specs like that. :roll:

e57

23040.jpg

Yep - BryanMD that was it.... (sort of slipped when looking at your post before)

e57

mdshunk said:
I wonder what the dielectric strength of rope is when it draws damp from the night air?

Maybe the same as it is dry???? Whats the dielectric strength of the conductor insulation it is on? Whould you be thinking the same if it were a wooden or plastic kleat?

mdshunk

e57 said:
Whould you be thinking the same if it were a wooden or plastic kleat?
Wood, yes. I'm sure the dielectric properties of saturated rope or saturated wood are modified, but maybe not enough to make a difference. In practice, you're only going to see this up to 480 volts. Nobody's roping in 13.2, for instance.

I'm trying to remember the particular utility's "meter book" that I saw one time that had a detail of a roped in service, calling out rope type, diameter, and number of wraps in a certain manner. It was from a Pacific Northwest state, if that rings a bell for anyone.

mdshunk

iwire said:
Marc,

Why would we care? :-?

Do we ask what the dielectric strength of a metal raceway is?

I suspect it is kind of low. :wink:
I'm not sure who 'we' is, but I like to puzzle on such things.

I think it might be something worth thinking about, at least, since the rope is so close to the terminations and could potentially be the path of a phase to phase fault.

iwire

Staff member
mdshunk said:
I'm not sure who 'we' is, but I like to puzzle on such things.

OK the 'we' is you. :grin:

I think it might be something worth thinking about,

That of course is up to you, but you posted it for all of us so I get to respond. :smile:

Considering the small distances required by 312.11(A)(3) IMO the rope is of little concern unless it is in contact with live parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.