Green Wirenuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

e57

Pierre - neither of the two you have for wire nut in general excude them from use on EGC's - But the one you have for 'greenies' would excude it for use on current carrying conductors or energized conductors.... (edit to add - because of the hole in the end for one conductor to come out - assuming we all use 1g device boxes...)

Last edited:

480sparky

Since no one wants to point out a Code reference, I'll throw one out: 250.148(B). That refers you back to 110.14(B).

But green wirenuts are not exclusive of any other method.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
To my knowledge there is no prohibition on this use of colored wirenuts included with any manufacturer's literature. Here is Ideal's literature which contains no warnings or restrictions http://www.idealindustries.com/media/pdfs/catalog/ideal_section_a.pdf

From what I can see the only difference is that green ones have a hole in their "top" to make pigtailing to boxes easier. Ideal's literature mentions NEC 250-146 and 250-148. And their Purple (AL to CU) connector is also listed for grounding per UL467 just like their Greenies.

Up until a few years ago, I used all wirenuts and barrels for grounding purposes.
I spoke with many people about this issue, trying to wrap my head around it. It was a big surprise for me when I learned it.
UL basically said that using the standard wirenuts would most likely not have poor results.

As an inspector, I do not look for greenies. Also the fact that the wirenuts are listed as pressure connectors takes the pressure off. :grin:

Don was so correct. I think most people lose sight of the fact that a fault current path is through the phase conductor.

dtiller

K8MHZ said:
OK....

So does that mean we have to use white or gray wire nuts for the neutral connections now?

:grin:
So does that Swan 350 put off so much heat it needs a STOVEPIPE!?!?!

k8mhz.1138338116.jpg

:roll: hihi - de k4det

KP2

In CT there are inspectors that will fail you if you do not use green wire nuts for residential wiring and green tails for commercial, not green screws but green tails. I lost a job because the home owner wanted to use thier friend to do the job and he failed 2 rough inspections for using crimps. That was in Danbury, CT

gndrod

mfr greenie agenda

mfr greenie agenda

With UL467 sanctifying the Greenie as an allowed EGC bonding termination, how many greenies are needed to bond four switches in a 4gg box without looping a single EGC to all four switch bond screws?
Greenies are labor intensive and costly compared to using one Ideal/Buchanan 410 crimp that can save both install time and part costs to do the same job. Anyone have a single Greenie method that can bond all four devices? rbj

gndrod

greenie part 2

greenie part 2

If the four gang is plastic and the devices are not self-grounding there is one possible way to use a single greenie in a conventional multiple pigtail mannner without passing through the hole. Would this be cause for rejection from an inspector? rbj

gndrod

410 bonding

410 bonding

georgestolz said:
Ben, dare I mention that until the cap is installed on a Buchanan, you have a technical listing violation?

(All the same, I used crimps too. :D )
Hi George,
So the in line 410 bonding crimp is no longer acceptable? Under what code does this mandate exclusion? This bond is still being used in many locations and is far superior to a Greenie. The cap type configuration is entirely different in end capping grounded and insulated ungrounded conditions.

Now I can see why Ideal gave up their 410 crimping tool. The Buchanan is also history under Ideal's thumb. Ben

gndrod

220/221 said:
Just another example of how "listing" can be ignorant.

I can agree on that. After corresponding with some of those marketing guys, they have only one clue...and that's an ignorant pocketful of money.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
dtiller said:
So does that Swan 350 put off so much heat it needs a STOVEPIPE!?!?!

k8mhz.1138338116.jpg

:roll: hihi - de k4det

K8MHZ said:
Well, yeah....

How many coal burning radios have you seen without one??

Thanks for the chuckle, I never noticed that before.

:grin:

Amateurs! :rolleyes: :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.