Fire Inspection for customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benton

I have this customer asking me to do an inspection for him to determine if the fire that destroyed his apartment was electrical related. The fire department wouldn't do it or the inspection department. He says they (whoever they are) are telling him that he needs a licensed electrician to do the work. What are you thought or experiences?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I have this customer asking me to do an inspection for him to determine if the fire that destroyed his apartment was electrical related. The fire department wouldn't do it or the inspection department. He says they (whoever they are) are telling him that he needs a licensed electrician to do the work. What are you thought or experiences?

Unless you know anything about fire investigation, it's really hard to determine where a fire started. I've had some training in it and I've been wrong as many times as I've been right. That's why so many fires are "electrical" related, because even the experts can't tell, but they figured something had to start it.

Cause and effect of an electrical fire can look a lot alike.

Now, the real reason I might steer clear. If this goes to court, he would probably call you in as his expert witness and without any formal training, a lawyer would eat you up.

cadpoint

I thought they have insurance fire inspectors? You got those papers?

...Now, the real reason I might steer clear. If this goes to court, he would probably call you in as his expert witness and without any formal training, a lawyer would eat you up.

Exactly!

ceb58

I agree with both john and Jude if you are not trained leave it alone. Why is he concerned if it is an appartment unless he is the owner. That is one thing the insurance company should handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.