Appropriate Attire For An Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wibber

Smith Built's comment in Resume w/Picture reminded me of a situation I'm unsure of.

SmithBuilt said:
I can think of a few that I did not hire due to what they wore to the interview. If they do not have enough respect for me or my company to dress up just ever so slightly for the interview then they will not portray the image I would like to have for my company.

When going to an interview as a Journeyman tradesperson - do you wear the attire that you would show up to work in, or do you wear more 'traditional' office/meeting attire? Curious what people who hire think. It is a meeting, but shouldn't you be dressed as you would be to start work?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Wibber said:
Smith Built's comment in Resume w/Picture reminded me of a situation I'm unsure of.

When going to an interview as a Journeyman tradesperson - do you wear the attire that you would show up to work in, or do you wear more 'traditional' office/meeting attire? Curious what people who hire think. It is a meeting, but shouldn't you be dressed as you would be to start work?
My guess is that it is important to show up clean, dressed neatly, and without extraneous holes in one's body parts.

L

Lxnxjxhx

I heard you should wear equal to what the interviewer wears, or one click above, but not more.

wireman71

Dressed for work... If you know you're applying for a service position then a little nicer Carharts would be appropriate. But still broken in. You want to look like you know how to work.

mdshunk

Please be sure that your drawers are worn at the natural position around the waist, and not halfway down your backside. Figure out a way to wear something other than sneakers on your feet. Maybe work boots or hikers or even dress-casual shoes. My advice is either jeans, kaki's, and either a polo or a work type shirt; something with a collar. You're not interviewing for the CEO position, so no need to look like a candy-ass that might not be able to handle heavy work.

iwire

Staff member
IMO it really depends on the company your applying for.

If your applying to a company that spends its time in finished environments it is different then a construction company.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
mdshunk said:
Please be sure that your drawers are worn at the natural position around the waist, and not halfway down your backside. Figure out a way to wear something other than sneakers on your feet. Maybe work boots or hikers or even dress-casual shoes. My advice is either jeans, kaki's, and either a polo or a work type shirt; something with a collar. You're not interviewing for the CEO position, so no need to look like a candy-ass that might not be able to handle heavy work.

I agree with Marc. I do a lot of interviews and though dress isn't that important since we will be issuing a uniform anyways. The guys that come in in the suit and tie applying for a maintenance position just look like they're tying to hard.

Wibber

iwire said:
IMO it really depends on the company your applying for

Would it also be that size of the company might come into play? In a larger company, the person hiring may likely be more detached from the field work and thus a more formal setting. A setting you would be wise to emulate?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here is my best mechanic

piercings.jpg

GilbeSpark

When I first got into electrical work I went in the office with a resume in a leather case, khaki pants and a golf shirt. I was hired and my starting pay was a few dollars/hr more than the normal green start pay.

Lately I've been on several interviews. The first I wore khakis and a golf shirt with work shoes (nice looking). I was offered a position on the spot. Another interview I went to right after my current job wearing jeans, same work shoes and a clean, neat tshirt. I was offered a position on the spot.

Just show up clean and neat, not sloppy looking. Clean shaven and a fresh haircut help. And cut your nails! Aside from that it also has quite a bit to do with how you carry yourself and how you interact with the interviewer. Come in acting like a kid or like they owe you a job just for being you and you'll get treated accordingly. Come in like you're looking for a career and a place to stay and don't overtalk your interviewer (remember, he's the one responsible for if you get the job, treat him as your boss) and you'll also get treated accordingly and you'll have a huge leg up on the 20 kuckleheads he's already interviewed with this week.

peter d

mdshunk said:
Maybe, but what would you think if a guy came in for a job interview dressed like this?

I'd say he's dressed just right for a wedding, but for an electrician's job he looks a little over done. ;) :D

Sharp looking guy there. ;)

SmithBuilt

I agree with what's been said.

I've had guys come in in old tank tops, flip flops, and pants that were tailored for someone twice their size.

I like a guy to come in in a nice shirt Carhart is fine and nice pants that fit. Ready to work.

480sparky

I would think it's prudent to do two things.

1. Scout out the company beforehand. Is it a 2-man shop, or a massive operation spread out over 25 states? That can give you one clue.

2. No matter what you wear, have a set of workin' duds out in the truck, along with basic hand tools. Just in case you get asked "When can you start?"

ITO

Field labor-

Good:
Work clothes, work boots, shaved, hair neat, clean, ready to start work on the spot, with all the appropriate ID, socsec card are all good signs. Carhardt work clothes are always a plus, they look professional to me.

Bad:
Labor organization t-shirts or inappropriate t-shirts, tennis shoes, bath slippers, sandals, pajama bottoms, unshaven, messy hair, biker attire, reeking of alcohol or reeking from poor hygiene is not the best way to show up to a job interview. Also when they pull their license and ID out they need to be presentable and not broken in two or melted. (yes I have seen all of this)

Office labor-

Dress up a little, slacks; button up shirt, and possibly a tie. Leave the cologne and perfume at home; I don?t want to smell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.