Electrical Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahualin

NEC code doesn't require electrical panels, switchboards located in electrical room. Why we require an electrical room for most projects. Is there any fire rating requirement for electrical room? I have seen that on some electrical drawings, but I couldn't find it on NEC. Any thoughs are welcome.

adavey

I would check your local building code for specifications on fire rating construction and ask the AHJ. I know rooms incorporating the fire pump, if needed, most surely need a higher fire rating assembly. Read ALL of NEC (handbook) art. 110 regarding "requirements for electrical installations"..

dahualin

engy said:
You're not an architect are you? :smile: ;)

No, I am not an architect. Sometimes our clients ask me why we need an electrical room since some of our panels are installed at somewhere outside electrical room. Then, I wonder "why?". I checked NEC that doesn't require an electrical room. It seems switchboards can be located exposed with appropriate metal enclosure and bollards protection if end user doesn't care its ugly looking. Am I right?

jaykool

The reason for fire-rating walls in electrical rooms is to get away from having to install sprinklers. I believe 2 hour fire rated walls are required...this might be a building code issue and not electrical(?)

dahualin

jaykool said:
The reason for fire-rating walls in electrical rooms is to get away from having to install sprinklers. I believe 2 hour fire rated walls are required...this might be a building code issue and not electrical(?)

Do you know which building code has this requirement and what the exact chapter is? Thanks.

teco

dahualin said:
No, I am not an architect. Sometimes our clients ask me why we need an electrical room since some of our panels are installed at somewhere outside electrical room. Then, I wonder "why?". I checked NEC that doesn't require an electrical room. It seems switchboards can be located exposed with appropriate metal enclosure and bollards protection if end user doesn't care its ugly looking. Am I right?

There are lots of reasons. One reason is electric rooms can be locked to keep unauthorized people from tampering with equipment. They serve as places to house transformers and other equipment you don't want sitting in a hallway. They also make it easy for troubleshooting if all panels are located in electric rooms you know where to go to find a circuit instead of trying to look all over a 10 story building for panels. I know these are obvious reasons but its really why most designers use electric rooms.

jaykool

i know it's in the IBC (international building code)

dont know the chapter, always relied on architect:)

try fire resistant rated construction (chapter 7), this is a guess.

dahualin

teco said:
There are lots of reasons. One reason is electric rooms can be locked to keep unauthorized people from tampering with equipment. They serve as places to house transformers and other equipment you don't want sitting in a hallway. They also make it easy for troubleshooting if all panels are located in electric rooms you know where to go to find a circuit instead of trying to look all over a 10 story building for panels. I know these are obvious reasons but its really why most designers use electric rooms.

It is very convenient to have an electrical room for trouble shooting and management. But it is not a code requirement. We still can put it exposed somewhere at corner or against warehouse wall.

teco

dahualin said:
It is very convenient to have an electrical room for trouble shooting and management. But it is not a code requirement. We still can put it exposed somewhere at corner or against warehouse wall.

Yes you can. In your 1st post its clear you know there is no rquirement for an electric room because thats the 1st thing you say. My 1st answer assumes you already know this. Also once you install and electric room now it requires fire walls by the building code and the depending on the size of it and the layout of equipent there all NEC codes to follow like two means of eggress for example. My 1st reply is the reason facility's use electric rooms and the answer I would give those who ask. Maybe I don't understand your question.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I think you have the answer. Its not a code issue so much as one of convenience, for the most part.

I have seen a few plants where the switchgear is just sitting out in the middle of the plant, sometimes with a fence around it. I have even seen switchgear in the parking lot with a fence around it.

ed downey

If you are installing a large transformer it may have to be installed in a Fire Rated Room.

450.21 Dry-Type Transformers Installed Indoors.
(A) Not Over 112​
12 kVA.
Dry-type transformers installed
indoors and rated 112
12 kVA or less shall have a separation
of at least 305 mm (12 in.) from combustible material unless
separated from the combustible material by a
fireresistant,
heat-insulated barrier.

Exception: This rule shall not apply to transformers rated
for 600 volts, nominal, or less that are completely enclosed,
with or without ventilating openings.​
(B) Over 112​
12 kVA.
Individual dry-type transformers of
more than 112
12 kVA rating shall be installed in a transformer
room of
fire-resistant construction. Unless specified
otherwise in this article, the term
fire resistant means a
construction having a minimum
fire rating of 1 hour.

Exception No. 1: Transformers with Class 155 or higher
insulation systems and separated from combustible material
by a​
fire-resistant, heat-insulating barrier or by not less
than 1.83 m (6 ft) horizontally and 3.7 m (12 ft) vertically.
Exception No. 2: Transformers with Class 155 or higher
insulation systems and completely enclosed except for ventilating
openings.

FPN: See ANSI/ASTM E119-1995,​
Method for Fire Tests
of Building Construction and Materials
, and NFPA 251-
Standard Methods of Tests of Fire Endurance of
Building Construction and Materials

-Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.