250 grounding, grounded 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

gndrod

The use of GROUNDING and GROUNDED traditional use for neutral and equipment conductors leaves interpretive confusion under certain applications in the NEC. I am in the process of proposing that when these two references are used for the inference of path function differentiation that the text be in caps. The remaining verb references on grounding or grounded to remain in the lower case text. This will remove most of the confusion of figuring out which context of meaning is implied. Anyone have additional ideas? rbj

Last edited:

gndrod

g&g

g&g

will you accept bonding differentiation? I know path was a bad choice but it was in keeping with the NEC clarity we enjoy now....:[

lpelectric

gndrod said:
On second thought 'function differentiation' leaves flexibility. :)

I think the problem with vague terms i.e., "grounding, grounded, ungrounded, or in this case, "college-level" phrasing, leads to a confusing code. The trick to it all, IMHO, is to de-mystify the code by making it easy to understand by the average electrician who may not have the benefit of a college education, or the ability to take the mud out of the grounding, grounded, ungrounded terms. I like the fact that the NEC is working toward a better understanding of bonding.

crossman

I have found the best approach for understanding grounding/bonding and the NEC is to understand the theory and reasons behind the code rules. When a person understands the "why", the "how" is rather simple.

gndrod

G-g

G-g

ryan_618 said:
I don't see how putting things in capital letters will change anything.
Ryan,

There would be a difference when referring to grounding conductors vs GROUNDING conductors. At least a definition is descriptive of doing the process of grounding to a conductor as compared to the known condition of an equipment GROUNDING conductor that has already been bonded. There are numerous instances where the differentiation would save a lot of confusion to the uninitiated. rbj

gndrod

Partial to...

Partial to...

lpelectric said:
I think the problem with vague terms i.e., "grounding, grounded, ungrounded, or in this case, "college-level" phrasing, leads to a confusing code. The trick to it all, IMHO, is to de-mystify the code by making it easy to understand by the average electrician who may not have the benefit of a college education, or the ability to take the mud out of the grounding, grounded, ungrounded terms. I like the fact that the NEC is working toward a better understanding of bonding.

Ipelectric,
I would agree if the context were that simple, it just plain isn't. I agree with you and would like to see 'bonding' a more prevelant way of describing the difference of equipment grounding as 'equipment bond' as a distinct separation of using -ing and -ed tense terms. Currently they conflict with ART 100.The old tradition is no longer valid since the 2008 defined "Ground" strictly as "Earth". rbj

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don't see how anyone would see a different meaning just because one word was all caps and the other wasn't. The words need to be changed but the task force did not agree. There were at least 3 proposals for the 2005 code to change equipment grounding conductor to equipment bonding conductor, but they were rejected and the task force was appointed to study the issue. The changes in the 2008 code on this issue came for the most part from the task force.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I am closing this thread. Please recreate a thread consistent with the format listed in these instructions.

RBA Note: There was nothing wrong with the subject matter; we just don't want to accept non-conforming OPs this early with the new instuctions in force.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
gndrod said:
The use of GROUNDING and GROUNDED traditional use for neutral and equipment conductors leaves interpretive confusion under certain applications in the NEC. I am in the process of proposing that when these two references are used for the inference of path function differentiation that the text be in caps. The remaining verb references on grounding or grounded to remain in the lower case text. This will remove most of the confusion of figuring out which context of meaning is implied. Anyone have additional ideas? rbj
I liked your proposal for the 2008 for a faying connection. Thats a unique term, but well understood in the Seattle area.

Status
Not open for further replies.