What size GEC? AND Is this Meter/Main Panel legal????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
So we installed a CH 400 amp meter main combo -- CG1212P400BSL--- The unit has a meter off to the left side and there is a barrier between the meter and the panel section. The load side of the meter has 2- 3/0 compact conductors- (not 2 sets, just 2)- feeding the panel buss. On that buss is a 200 amp main breaker and a space to add another 200 amp breaker-bolt in-if you choose. The installed main feeds a 12 cir. panel with feed thru lugs.

I ran two sets of 3/0 to each of my 200 amp panels. Now first is this compliant? I have NC state inspector saying he would turn it down even tho it is factory installed compact conductors. He is in the process of calling UL and Cutler Hammer and is adamant this is not compliant.

Now if it is compliant then shouldn't I be allowed to run #4 copper to my GEC. BTW, I got the ruling from our state inspector while I was typing this.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Dennis, I say the meter combo is fine, I get a kick out of inspectors that are scared to approve something without a listing but they want to question items that are listed because it looks wrong to them but with that said, are you saying you ran parallel 3/0's to (2) 200 amp panels, IOW's fed (2) 200 amp panels with 400 amps of conductor to each?

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Dennis, I say the meter combo is fine, I get a kick out of inspectors that are scared to approve something without a listing but they want to question items that are listed because it looks wrong to them but with that said, are you saying you ran parallel 3/0's to (2) 200 amp panels, IOW's fed (2) 200 amp panels with 400 amps of conductor to each?

Roger
It was Ron-- he called Cutler Hammer and they said the 3/0 compact conductor was tested and approved for 400 amps. Apparently they have been getting many calls about it. Ron had to back down but he was happy to hear about it.

Now what size GEC? :D

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Well there is the 3/0 compact conductor that goes between the meter and the breakers.
Yes, but those are not NEC recognized conductors, they are part of a manufactured assembly.

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Yes, but those are not NEC recognized conductors, they are part of a manufactured assembly.

Roger

Ron basically said even if they were recognized conductors then they would not be service conductors. He said it may as well be a busbar. His take is that there are no service conductors so Note 2 enters in and 1/0 gec must be used.

I though compact conductors are recognized by the NEC?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I though compact conductors are recognized by the NEC?
They are, but what I meant was that since these are part of a factory assembly they are not governed (recognized) by NEC rules.

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I planned on using 1/0 but I started thinking. If I installed those conductor I would have yo use 2 sets of 3/0 and then I could run a #2. Since there is one set of 3/0 from the factory I need 1/0. How absurd is that.

Status
Not open for further replies.