Thread: 406.8(A) and (B) 2008NEC

406.8(A) and (B) 2008NEC

I don't recall anyone pointing this out, so I will.

In both damp and wet locations, all 15 and 20 amp, 125 and 250v non-locking receptacles will be required to be a listed weather-resistant type.

Combined with everyone's favorite 406.11 (Tamper-resistant receptacles in dwelling units), Dwellings are going to need tamper-resistant, weather-resistant receptacles outside.

Anyone even make these yet?
    John from Baltimore
    "One Day at a Time"
    Responses based on the 2008 NEC

If you can stay calm, while all around you is chaos...then you probably haven't completely understood the seriousness of the situation

No. And they will have tro be gfci protected with an WP/in-use cover....

Again, the code has mandated a requirement for a product that doesn't even exist yet.
    Bryan P. Holland, MCP

Quote Originally Posted by bphgravity
    Again, the code has mandated a requirement for a product that doesn't even exist yet.
    Just curious how, is your area (or anyones) going to deal with this?

In my area, none of the local EC's install in-use cvr.s in new construction. CA is on the '02 code cycle.

CA's title 24 requires manual on occ. sensors in some areas of the home. They always get removed from custom homes after the final.

Don't blame me, I can only do what I am told.
    "I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Quote: Klaatu

According to the UL rep at the Western section meeting the products have been listed, so they must already exist.
    Don
    Don, Illinois
    "It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." B Franklin

I just got my '08 last monday, and I was a bit surprised this had never been mentioned. (At least I didn't remember it being mentioned.... )
    John from Baltimore
    "One Day at a Time"
    Responses based on the 2008 NEC

If you can stay calm, while all around you is chaos...then you probably haven't completely understood the seriousness of the situation

Quote Originally Posted by iwire
    Just curious how, is your area (or anyones) going to deal with this?
    I don't have my code book, but there is a section in Article 90 that allows previous rules if a product doesn't exist yet.
    Ryan Jackson, Salt Lake City
    Inspector, Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by ryan_618
    I don't have my code book, but there is a section in Article 90 that allows previous rules if a product doesn't exist yet.
    Third paragraph of 90.4. Unchanged from '05.

Smile

Thanks

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19
    According to the UL rep at the Western section meeting the products have been listed, so they must already exist.
    Don
    Yes, this is what they told us at the Southern Section Meeting as well. However, not one single manufacturer has one available for purchase.

And while we are on the subject, at least two manufacturer's (Siemens / Eaton) had combination-type afci breakers at the show, however they too were not available for purchase...
    Bryan P. Holland, MCP