90.4 hard lesson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to wire a service pedistal for a DSL site in another utility district. Job was 2 hours one way from the shop... long drive.

Set things up as usual with a 240v 200 amp single phase meter base with a bypass so the utility could pull the meter in the future without dropping all the DSL customers. After a long day drove the 2 hours back.

A couple of days go by and I learn I have been red tagged on that job by the electrical inspector. 90.4 "Additional requirements may be imposed by another AHJ ... incorrect meter base"

The utility wanted a 100 amp meter base, no bypass and speced out an overhead type for me to enter in and out from the bottom. I was told that someone could illegally bypass my meter base to steal power. I call the utility engineer, he says its OK with him but is over ruled by the meter shop.

I gather all things I might need to adapt this little meter base to the two 2" meyers hubs I now have on top of the pedistal and make the 2 hour drive back out.
The inspector shows up. He says "To make it easier just go down to the local hardware store and get a UG 200 meterbase no bypass and change it out, I'll sign it off." I did that and got out of there. Not too happy about the whole thing.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t108/buck33k/005.jpg

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
buck33k said:
A couple of days go by and I learn I have been red tagged on that job by the electrical inspector. 90.4 "Additional requirements may be imposed by another AHJ ... incorrect meter base"

This guy is out of line if he thinks 90.4 (NEC) gives him the right to make up his own rules.

buck33k said:
The utility wanted a 100 amp meter base, no bypass and speced out an overhead type for me to enter in and out from the bottom. I was told that someone could illegally bypass my meter base to steal power. I call the utility engineer, he says its OK with him but is over ruled by the meter shop.

And these guys sound like the Keystone Kops, (which way did they go)

It looks as though you were in a "no win" situation from the start.

Roger

480sparky

coulter said:
I'm kind of dumb on this (single phase). What does the fifth jaw do?

carl

You need the 5th jaw if your voltage is 120/208.... using two phases from a 3ph system. I've heard them called 'ticklers' as well. A different meter is installed.

Edit to add:
5thjaw.gif

Last edited:

jwelectric

480sparky said:
Why would it not be a code rule?

Well I suppose the title of the Article says it all

ARTICLE 90 Introduction

What is the inspector saying? I am turning you down because you haven't been introduced to the code?

Just what is 90.4 addressing?
90.4 Enforcement.
What is the inspector saying? I am turning you down because we have the power to enforce this code?

Just what is most inspectors saying when they use 90.4 in a rejection?

"I am too ignorant to find the real reason to turn you down so I think I will use something out of the introduction that gives my jurisdiction premission to adopt this code."

To be perfectly honest just what did the inspector have to turn down the installaion in the orignial post?
Nothing!

What was the problem outlined in the original post?
Something with the utility company.

What the inspector did do was become an agent for the utility company and not an agent for the jurisdiction for which he works.

480sparky

jwelectric said:
Well I suppose the title of the Article says it all

ARTICLE 90 Introduction

What is the inspector saying? I am turning you down because you haven't been introduced to the code?

Just what is 90.4 addressing?
90.4 Enforcement.
What is the inspector saying? I am turning you down because we have the power to enforce this code?

Just what is most inspectors saying when they use 90.4 in a rejection?

"I am too ignorant to find the real reason to turn you down so I think I will use something out of the introduction that gives my jurisdiction premission to adopt this code."

To be perfectly honest just what did the inspector have to turn down the installaion in the orignial post?
Nothing!

What was the problem outlined in the original post?
Something with the utility company.

What the inspector did do was become an agent for the utility company and not an agent for the jurisdiction for which he works.

So Article 200 has nothing to do with grounded conductors? 250 does not apply to grounding?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
480sparky said:
So Article 200 has nothing to do with grounded conductors? 250 does not apply to grounding?

I don't understand the comparrison, 200 is "Use and Identification of Grounded Conductors" and 250 is "Grounding and Bonding" they are specific in what they are pertaining to as far as being "Code Requirements"

I agree with Mike that article 90 is just an introduction with some explanatory information of the lay out of the code.

Roger

480sparky

roger said:
I don't understand the comparrison, 200 is "Use and Identification of Grounded Conductors" and 250 is "Grounding and Bonding" they are specific in what they are pertaining to as far as being "Code Requirements"

I agree with Mike that article 90 is just an introduction with some explanatory information of the lay out of the code.

Roger

So Article 90 does not apply to our work?:confused:

gndrod

Bypass

Bypass

Hi Buck,

Was this an L+I inspection, obviously not in Tacoma because the bypass is required there and N.Pierce installs. Just happen to have a 2007 Tac Pwr handbook in front of me. rbj

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
480sparky said:
So Article 90 does not apply to our work?:confused:

Absolutely it pertains to our work but only as an informative statement.

Think of it as a big FPN. :wink:

Roger

gndrod

coulter said:
I'm kind of dumb on this (single phase). What does the fifth jaw do?

carl

the 5th j allows alternation between two phases to balance the load on 120/208, 2ph. rbj

ed. Reason is power compensation for undersized xfmr to larger building.

Last edited:

coulter

gndrod said:
the 5th j allows alternation between two phases to balance the load on 120/208, 2ph. ...
I got that from 480's post 7. The part I didn't get is if it is normal to install a 5 jaw base on a 240/120 service.

carl

Status
Not open for further replies.