Running Romex in conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minuteman

Dennis Alwon said:
LOL....Don't feel bad I think we all have done it. I see it all over the place without ill effect. Not endorsing it but I do believe it is not code compliant.
One consolation - my wire job is WAY better than if Uncle Jed woulda had Jethro wire it. :grin:

Karl H

Rewire said:
Thhn you use the 90C table for Amp rating romex you use the 60C table

You use the 90c table for THHN for ambient temp. corrections.Well unless your running THHN and inducing voltage on a 60c/75c lug or device.:grin:

I don't see where it's permittted to run NM in a complete raceway.Other than for protection which I assume is a sleeve not a complete run.I'd love some assistance on specific ART.#'s

mdshunk

Karl H said:
I don't see where it's permittted to run NM in a complete raceway.Other than for protection which I assume is a sleeve not a complete run.I'd love some assistance on specific ART.#'s
That's not how the code works. The NEC is permissive. Unless is says you can't, then you can.

stickboy1375

Karl H said:

It does not work that way, you need to look for where its NOT permitted...

BackInTheHabit

mdshunk said:
That's not how the code works. The NEC is permissive. Unless is says you can't, then you can.

NEC 2008 90.5(A) Mandatory Rules
Mandatory rules of this Code are those that identify actions that are specifaclly required or prohibited and are characterized by the us of the terms shall or shall not.

Karl H

You guys are absolutely right.I didn't even think about that. If your mother told you "You cannot drink Liquor." Then getting drunk on "Beer" stolen from your dad's fridge in the garage. Is perfectly fine. I totally understand this logic! :grin:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Karl H said:

Read post #4

Roger

mdshunk

I think the main time your code pickle when running romex in conduit comes into play is for sleeves out of a box.

Take one typical application; sleeving romex from the floor joist area down to a handy box for unfinished basement switches and receptacles. This is not a true raceway, it is only sleeving for protection. The permissions granted by 358.22 might not come into play, since this is not a raceway. That would be more like a table 9, note 2 sleeve. Romex still has the general requirement to be secured within a certain dimension of the box in this case, since it's in a sleeve and not a raceway, which does not happen with these short sleeves out of boxes. The securing is what I see as the possible violation.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
mdshunk said:
The securing is what I see as the possible violation.

The sleeve is still a raceway but not a complete raceway. We are splitting hairs here. Art 334.30

334.30 Securing and Supporting.
Nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall be supported and secured by staples, cable ties, straps, hangers, or similar fittings designed and installed so as not to damage the cable, at intervals not exceeding 1.4 m (4? ft) and within 300 mm (12 in.) of every outlet box, junction box, cabinet, or fitting. Flat cables shall not be stapled on edge.
Sections of cable protected from physical damage by raceway shall not be required to be secured within the raceway.

The fact that the NEC says sections of cable protected by raceway seems to imply no support is necessary within the raceway/sleeve. IMO

realolman

mdshunk said:
I think the main time your code pickle when running romex in conduit comes into play is for sleeves out of a box.

Take one typical application; sleeving romex from the floor joist area down to a handy box for unfinished basement switches and receptacles. This is not a true raceway, it is only sleeving for protection. The permissions granted by 358.22 might not come into play, since this is not a raceway. That would be more like a table 9, note 2 sleeve. Romex still has the general requirement to be secured within a certain dimension of the box in this case, since it's in a sleeve and not a raceway, which does not happen with these short sleeves out of boxes. The securing is what I see as the possible violation.
Doesn't 334.30 relieve you of that ?

I would not pull romex in conduit> Seems like too much trouble and expense.... except for going down a block wall to a switch

edited: I may not be good... but I'm slow.

stickboy1375

realolman said:
I would not pull romex in conduit> Seems like too much trouble and expense.... except for going down a block wall to a switch

depends, for guys that dont buy thhn everyday and already stock NM, seems like a logical choice for me...

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Actually Marc, if a fitting is used on the end of the raceway you have fulfilled the requirement.

Nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall be supported and secured by staples, cable ties, straps, hangers, or similar fittings designed and installed so as not to damage the cable, at intervals not exceeding 1.4 m (4 1/ 2 ft) and within 300 mm (12 in.) of every outlet box, junction box, cabinet, or fitting. Flat cables shall not be stapled on edge.

1100551339_2.jpg

Roger

realolman

roger said:
Actually Marc, if a fitting is used on the end of the raceway you have fulfilled the requirement.

Roger
Does a box connector with a bushing... or maybe just a box connector count? Or does it have to be one of those romex connector / emt things?

Status
Not open for further replies.