Are ungrounded GFCI sockets safe for expensive equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
76nemo said:
Now if I just bought the place, of course I would want all three-wire.
This is a sentiment I don't completely share. When the subject comes up, I recommend that customers keep the existing non-grounding receptacles where they are, and have me run a new circuit where the audio/video equipment, or the computer station, etc., will be located, just as we would for a window AC.

In my opinion, the labor costs of grounding every receptacle far outweigh the benefits. Outside of my home office and home theater, and stationary appliances, very little of the electrical equipment in my house has 3-conductor cords and plugs. So, in response to the OP, I'd run a new circuit for the A/V system.

mdshunk said:
Save all your fried electronic stuff that's ever failed until lightning season, then put in a fat homeowner's insurance claim. :grin:
Had a friend do that, his insurance agent was the sister of another friend, the insurance company new what he did but could not prove it.

Chappie

Conclusion of the story:

We asked them to ground the sockets in the living room and den, so that I could safely plug in my equipment. They countered grounding one socket of my choice in each room, and we accepted.

Thanks for all the input. I'm happy with how things turned out, and if I want to ground other stuff, I have the option to do so in the future.

76nemo

LarryFine said:
This is a sentiment I don't completely share. When the subject comes up, I recommend that customers keep the existing non-grounding receptacles where they are, and have me run a new circuit where the audio/video equipment, or the computer station, etc., will be located, just as we would for a window AC.

In my opinion, the labor costs of grounding every receptacle far outweigh the benefits. Outside of my home office and home theater, and stationary appliances, very little of the electrical equipment in my house has 3-conductor cords and plugs. So, in response to the OP, I'd run a new circuit for the A/V system.

Larry, I meant I was like the spouse, and ALWAYS wanting more:roll:

76nemo

LarryFine said:

We are on the same page then Larry. I thought I was out of the ordinary here. Equipment wise, I don't see the strive.

ozark01

So if a house has a combination of ungrounded 3 wire receptacles and the original 2 wire receptacles installed on the same circuit, A GFCI breaker would make all of the receptacles on the circuit code compliant as long as the 3-wire receptacles were marked as ungrounded?

iwire

Staff member
ozark01 said:
So if a house has a combination of ungrounded 3 wire receptacles and the original 2 wire receptacles installed on the same circuit, A GFCI breaker would make all of the receptacles on the circuit code compliant as long as the 3-wire receptacles were marked as ungrounded?

Yes.

And then 250.114 prevents using that ungrounded receptacle for a long list of equipment.

mgd

zero surge

zero surge

langjahr@comcast.net said:
Ungrounded surge protectors could protect from a line-to-line surge, but not a line-to-ground surge.
I don't know that anyone sells an ungrounded surge protector.
zero surge doesn't tie there filters to the egc

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
iwire said:
ozark01 said:
Yes.

And then 250.114 prevents using that ungrounded receptacle for a long list of equipment.
Plus, there's one more thing: In case any sections of the cabling between any of these receptacles contain an EGC, do not connect it to any of the grounded receptacles' EGC terminals.

jrclen

Last week I did a job where I replaced all the old kitchen receptacles with 3 prong outlets. I installed a GFCI breaker on that single circuit. When I got out the stickers, the lady informed me that I was not going to put those ugly stickers on her brand new white cover plates. I explained they are required. She explained what she thought of silly government rules. She then pointed out that her house is not located in Russia. I laughed, collected the check, and wished her a good day.

Anyone else have this happen?

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm amused by people who put GFCI stickers on GFCI receptacles.

jrclen said:
When I got out the stickers, the lady informed me that I was not going to put those ugly stickers on her brand new white cover plates.
You could have asked her where her old plates were, and stuck the labels on those.

ultramegabob

langjahr@comcast.net said:
Ungrounded surge protectors could protect from a line-to-line surge, but not a line-to-ground surge.
I don't know that anyone sells an ungrounded surge protector.

why not use a whole house surge protector at the panel? any surge coming in through the service conductors would be diverted to ground before traveling though the house, they are around $80.00 dollars or so and extreamly easy to install.....

Status
Not open for further replies.