Who has a megger???

Status
Not open for further replies.

76nemo

electricalperson said:
sorry for so many posts but im wondering what other testers can an electrician get to make his job safer? besides the DMM or other voltage testers

Just out of curiousity, you said your Wiggy is a true love. You don't use a Wiggy in control work, do you? You can close a circuit with a tester of that sort.

electricalperson

76nemo said:
Just out of curiousity, you said your Wiggy is a true love. You don't use a Wiggy in control work, do you? You can close a circuit with a tester of that sort.
i use a wiggy when im in a house troubleshooting something there. if im troubleshooting anything other than basic circuits i break out my clamp on meter or another DMM. im still saving up for my fluke 289 kit :
289FVFKit.jpg

brian john

A large variety of test equipment, from a wiggy to IR camera and high current test sets, ductor, meggers, gauss meter, multimeter, amp clamps and all variety of equipment in between. Different jobs require different test sets.

76nemo

tom baker said:
Fluke T+Pro. It does continuity, resistance, volts, GFCI test, LED light, and phase rotation, About $80.00 Its a Wiggy Killer.

Wiggy killer,.... that was a good laugh, you think?:grin:

Fluke's T+, and T+Pro are CATIII, what's your wiggy rated at?;)

electricalperson, will you fully utilize a DMM of the 289's sort? The only thing that meter won't do is iron your work attire. In 12 years I have been lucky enough to not have had the need for a logger. FlukeView software is great! How many of you guys/gals use a logger on commercial sites or contract work?

mdshunk

76nemo said:
How many of you guys/gals use a logger on commercial sites or contract work?
I use a power quality analyzer as a data logger. Two birds with one stone. Basically the same instrument, with maybe an extra bell or whistle. At the time I was buying, it was a horserace between the Fluke 43, Ideal 805, and one from Hioki that I forget. I got the Ideal. Other than logging for whole weeks at a time with the amp clamps on the wrong direction, I havn't had any disappointments from it.

electricalperson

brian john said:
A large variety of test equipment, from a wiggy to IR camera and high current test sets, ductor, meggers, gauss meter, multimeter, amp clamps and all variety of equipment in between. Different jobs require different test sets.
whats a ductor?

coolman

an old secret

an old secret

As what some call an old timer, I had a friend who is an electronics engineer and was taught an old trick. Using an AM FM radio you can find loose connections which are now knows as a series fault. Using the radio, tune it in to an AM station with nothing on it and when you get near the loose connection you hear static and it gets worse when you get closer. All loose connections produce radio signals.

zog

Brian,

I think it is a Fench word relating to evaluations or something, I think I saw it on a Chauvin Arnoux micrometer (Known now in the US as AEMC) a while back. Makes sense with Chauvin Arnoux being based in Paris.

Status
Not open for further replies.