Running Romex in conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
realolman said:
Does a box connector with a bushing... or maybe just a box connector count? Or does it have to be one of those romex connector / emt things?

The cable would need to be stapled within 12" of where it enters the conduit / bushing, the bushing / fitting would only provide protection from the sharp edge of the raceway.

Roger

realolman

I don't mean to beat this into the ground, but I would like to know... it seems like such a simple and common thing.

I don't think that emt requires a bushing in the boxes, but 300.4 (F) does for raceways containing conductors 4 AWG or larger... and even that is not needed if the conductors are separated from the raceway by substantial insulating material securely fastened in place.

Now then back to the EMT and the # 12 or #14 romex... Although I know 300.4 does not pertain to the # 12 or 14 NM , the jacket and paper of the romex seems to me to be substantial enough insulating material sufficient to protect the conductors.

I mean to ask this humbly, not smart alecky ...What article says there has to be a fitting or bushing on the EMT where the NM enters?:smile:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
realolman said:
I mean to ask this humbly, not smart alecky ...What article says there has to be a fitting or bushing on the EMT where the NM enters?:smile:

I believe art 334.15 (B) & 334.30 addresses this.

Although 1/2" emt does not require bushing there is a usually a connector on the ends to make the transition into boxes. NM cable can easily be cut on the sharp edges of emt that is why it must be protected. It is probably a judgement call more than anything as to what is protected.

Around here we usually sleeve with PVC and a coupling on the end is suffiient to protect the cable.

realolman

Dennis Alwon said:
I believe art 334.15 (B) & 334.30 addresses this.

I'm sorry ... I retract all that I have said and apologize.. I believe 334.15 specifies the bushing or adapter.

Nice weather we're having, isn't it?

Last edited:

stickboy1375

Dennis Alwon said:
I guess my opinion was good enough for you.HUH :grin:

Yes it was... ;) :grin:

I use these by the way...
4-pg--EMT-new.jpg

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician