Two kitchen counter circuits required?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Opinions requested on the following: Residential kitchen, 1 dedicated 20 amp circuit for the fridge, one dedicated 20 amp circuit for the kitchen counter receptacles. Compliant or not? I say its fine because I have two small appliance branch circuits. Two inspectors I have talked to and my partner think that two circuits are required for the counter receptacles but I see no language in the code that states this. Interestingly the handbook commentary does state that two are required to serve the counter top outlets. but of course this is not enforcable as code.

Buck Parrish

Ever tried useing a toaster oven a coffe pot or blender at the same time?

Most of us that do costum homes even pull an additional dedicated 20 amp to the fridge. Some of the big fridgerators require it.

stickboy1375

buckofdurham said:
Ever tried useing a toaster oven a coffe pot or blender at the same time?

Most of us that do costum homes even pull an additional dedicated 20 amp to the fridge. Some of the big fridgerators require it.

The OP wanted a code reference not an opinion, IMO. :grin:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
BryanMD said:
Since when is a refrigerator considered a small appliance?

Since 210.11(C)(1) which refers to 210.52(B) -- Not so small to me but it is wired to SABC if one choices

210.11(C) Dwelling Units.
(1) Small-Appliance Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, two or more 20-ampere small-appliance branch circuits shall be provided for all receptacle outlets specified by 210.52(B).

B) 210.52 (B)Small Appliances.
(1) Receptacle Outlets Served. In the kitchen, pantry, breakfast room, dining room, or similar area of a dwelling unit, the two or more 20-ampere small-appliance branch circuits required by 210.11(C)(1) shall serve all wall and floor receptacle outlets covered by 210.52(A), all countertop outlets covered by 210.52(C), and receptacle outlets for refrigeration equipment.

resistance

electrofelon said:
Ok there it is, thanks. I dont know how I missed that. I looked through that section like five times.

Electro,
your profile says you are an electrician. Are you a res, or commercial electrician?

Based on your username "Electrofelon", why worry about doing it right. <Joke :grin:

peter d

buckofdurham said:

I've never ran a dedicated 20 amp circuit to a fridge, even in a "costum" home.

peter d

480sparky said:
That's SOP for me, even for a spec home.

To each their own. :) I'm not going to waste the money and the copper.

Unless we've suddenly transported back to the 1970's I'm not seeing many refrigerators that are rated more than 3-5 amps.

480sparky

peter d said:

Unless we've suddenly transported back to the 1970's I'm not seeing many refrigerators that are rated more than 3-5 amps.

You don't do to many Vikings, do you? Photo shows two units, one refrigerator, one freezer in a matched, side-by-side configuration.
DSC04980a-1.jpg

Vikingspec.gif

e57

peter d said:

Are you bidding by the sq'?!?! Line item and charged right under the heading "Kitchen".....:grin:

FYI - many Sub-zeros require a 15a dedicated - why - some pull 12a alone.....

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
210 says the minimum is two circuits.

We always pull two for the counter recepts, one for the frig, one for the microwave, and one for the DW/disposal.

I think that sometimes our experiences cause us to wire things differently. Since I do a lot of remodels I see the problems of wiring to the bare minimum. Lighting circuits overloaded, SABC's stretched to the limit, etc. There's a point where the money in some jobs cannot allow you to wire optimally and you have to do the bare minimum.

frizbeedog

infinity said:
Take a look at 210.52(B)(3). Two are required for the counter top.

here's how I'd sum it up. The two small appliance circuits must both serve the counter top surface. At a minimum both of the circuits must teminate in at least one receptacle for the counter top. Whether you require more, or dedicated circuits for specific appliances, or install other allowable outlets on these circuits, they both must hit the countertop at least once.

Status
Not open for further replies.