Couldn't do this if I tried. Spot the violation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
mdshunk said:
When you drill through knots, you'll often have black shavings.
If I'm having difficulty drilling, I'll sometimes smell the tip of a bit when I'm not sure what I'm hitting; strong pine is a knot, block smells like concrete, etc.

This will make me reconsider that practice. :rolleyes:

It may have alerted the drilling expert, though. :grin:

Seriously (hey, it could happen), when I'm long-drilling, I keep careful count of members drilled, and length of bit travel, both while in material and when between members. I also compare in-wall travel to ceiling or floor height outside the wall.

If I hit an unexpected barrier, I don't just go ahead and bore through it. I'll poke, feel, and listen. Wood, metal, and PVC all feel and sound different when you bump them. Sometimes, I un-chuck the bit for more sensitivity.

I've avoided more than one pipe by comparing the distance from my starting point to an unexpected bump, with the location of upstairs plumbing. These are also good tips for recessed-can retro-installations.

hillbilly

Give the man credit....

At least he maintained a 1 1/4" spacing from the edge of the stud.:grin:

Seriously though....If I drill into a cavity and pieces of black plastic start falling out, I'll open it up and see just what I'm drilling a hole thru.
I like to sleep at night.

steve

splinetto

:grin: Well It looks like I have a differenet opinion...To me it definetly looks like the wire was there first and the plumber didn't want to go around it...

480sparky

dcspector said:
Yeah... read post #9 I was not to sure of the :rolleyes: thing on my reply.

For as many times I've been cited to violations caused by other trades (pipes, etc over panels, things like that), it's about time for a little payback to the turd herders! :grin:

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
dcspector said:
What I was saying was the OP pic is not technically an NEC violation. The :rolleyes: is being sarcastic? Why?

Don't be so egocentric The comment was directed to the fact that the drill went through the center of the pipe and NOT AT YOUR COMMENT so don't get your panties in a wad.:rolleyes:

e57

480sparky said:
For as many times I've been cited to violations caused by other trades (pipes, etc over panels, things like that), it's about time for a little payback to the turd herders! :grin:

Speaking of turd.... there seems to be a little discoloration one lower end of the pics.... Some sort of steamy stain....

iwire

Staff member
I have to agree with Larry, I would have been curious when I hit 'extra' obstructions especially near a bathroom.

But it is a great picture, thanks for sharing it. :smile:

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
Did something similar (could never do it twice)

Did something similar (could never do it twice)

I was working for a friend in his new house. In the garage, they had not mounted the garage door buttons. The EC had mounted the light switch at 4 ft. above the garage floor (not taking into account that the door to the house was going to be on a 3 step platform which would put the switch at knee height. The 3 LV wires for the garage door controls were just poked thru the drywall at the same height.

I was short for time so my friend said just move the door controls up and worry about the switch later. So, I use a piece of #12 wire to fish the 3 LV cables one-at-a-time to the new locations higher on the wall. Job done.

I come back a few months later to move the switch up. When I open the box, I find one 14-2 romex in the box and a LV cable. I start cursing the EC who was dumb enough to run LV cable in a switch box. I'm sure you know the rest of the story.

I was the idiot. I had managed to fish my pull wire in the top of the plastic box and right out the bottom. I then pulled the LV cable right back thru. I had to disconnect the garage control before I could get the box out of the wall.

I hate it when I'm yelling at myself and don't even know it.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.