Out of Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

splinetto

Could anyone point me in the direction of a website about generators? I would like to do experiments on generating Voltage..The idea of being self suffient or "off the grid" is interesting to me...I also need to loose weight so I might need to buy one of those bikes to plug my TV into....Thanks for the help..

BackInTheHabit

splinetto said:
Could anyone point me in the direction of a website about generators? I would like to do experiments on generating Voltage..The idea of being self suffient or "off the grid" is interesting to me...I also need to loose weight so I might need to buy one of those bikes to plug my TV into....Thanks for the help..

As far as stand by genarators, TRY THIS

As far as losing weight, TRY THIS

Let me know if the weight loss works. I need to lose 30 pounds myself.

mdshunk

If you care to PM me, I have a decent .PDF book that shows how to do some of the more popular home-brew stuff that I can email you. I just tried to attach it here, but it's too big.

splinetto

BackInTheHabit said:
As far as losing weight, TRY THIS

Let me know if the weight loss works. I need to lose 30 pounds myself.
I thought you were going to send me to a Richard Simmons web page...So I was relieved...However I would have to start doing side work to afford that equipment...

BackInTheHabit

splinetto said:
I thought you were going to send me to a Richard Simmons web page...So I was relieved...However I would have to start doing side work to afford that equipment...

It is only a wish that I could have that equipment. The price is out of my range as well.

mdshunk

BackInTheHabit said:
It is only a wish that I could have that equipment. The price is out of my range as well.
That TreadClimber is cool. We have a regular treadmill, which now features a nice hole in the wall behind it. Short story is that my youngest son had a skateboarding accident on the treadmill.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
i went to install a 30A receptacle for a customer getting a new treadmill. It was some kind of very high end treadmill that he paid several g's for. Just as I was finished up, the semi-truck pulled up w/ it. He asked me to wait around until they got it connected to make sure it worked properly. So we're standing in this home gym (as nice as a gym you pay to join) surrounded by mirrors. The guy starts running on it and is just staring at himself. He asks me, "hey buddy, how do i look? is my form okay?" It was a weird moment. I left quickly. Word is the wife built the gym at home because of some shenanigans of his at the local club.

SegDog

self-sufficiency

self-sufficiency

Hello,

Since the ice-storms of '96, when I told my wife that I'm the only (and dumbest) electrician in the neighborhood that doesn't own a generator, I've spent considerable time trying to convince others about having back-up systems available to heat and power their basic needs. I went the battery-route and keep a couple large capacity gel-cell batteries and inverters on-the-ready for the next outage, which, of course, hasn't happened since I bought this gear.

Like you mentioned, I own an exercise bike and would like to have a simple gen/regulator hook-up to charge-up the batteries when everything else fails. All this is fun stuff, and adds to general knowledge and good hands-on training. I've even taken-up solar-training to get prepared for the next phase.

All this may seem like a waste of time to some, but it wasn't when half the neighbors parked at my house one-time when we were the only one that had heat. I really woulld not want the neighbors over anymore, but I would like to be able to sell them the tools to run their own furnace, fridge, pellet-stove, cooktop, or combinations of any.

It all comes-down to some degree of self-sufficiency, which is the opposite of what is being "preached" today.

L

Lxnxjxhx

bikes and generators, misc.

bikes and generators, misc.

You can probably put out 100 watts aerobically for quite a while, and one hp anaerobically for less than a minute.
A world-class cyclist can put out 400 watts for 20 minutes on a dynamometer. This much effort for this long = aerobic? =anaerobic?

Your body is maybe 10% efficient, so most of your aerobic work will go into weight loss and enlarging your heart. World-class cyclists are maybe 20% efficient.
A Calorie (=1000 kilocalories) = 1.16 watt-hours. On machines that display Calories and watts, you can calculate the machine's assumption about the efficiency of your body.

Gaining a pound a year over 30 years is "normal", but not desirable. Body mass indices over 30 are worrisome; the health risk curve is U shaped, so 25-30 is pretty much OK.

Sorry, I don't remember the links.

L

Lxnxjxhx

I need to help the economy by hiring a proofreader.
One Calorie = 1000 calories.

L

Lxnxjxhx

not losing weight

not losing weight

Step 1. Just tell yourself that all your fat is being replaced by muscle mass and that's why your weight hasn't changed.
Step 2. Repeat step 1.

After 16 months@2 hrs/day@5 days/wk, I've dropped a few pounds, but my strength and muscle definition has increased. As to muscle definition, at my age the fat looked better.

I did find out that the body mass index, http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/
of an unidentified senior forum member is 27.7000001347621777762, give or take a few.

The real problem, as I see it, is that the women I see pushing baby carriages around look like children to me. I just can't figure it out. . .it must be my glasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.