Tapping Off Meter Main

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisb

I need to tap off the meter main combo in the picture. I spoke to the City of Atlanta and they indicated if I stay within 10? of wire length and use a ?kit? from the manufacturer (GE) they will approve it. I called GE distributors and GE and no help there.

Basically I need a 60 amp 240 volt circuit to feed a rain tight sub panel to feed new pool equipment at a residence. The main panel is in the garage and there is too much concrete and obstacles to get power from that location. Pulling power from a meter main is my only option.

Is there an approved method of tapping off the meter/main if I stay within 10 feet of wire length?

Thank you,
Chris

http://forums.mikeholt.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1456&d=1207152567

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would think you could tap the load-side conductors below the 200a breaker, and place a 60a disco directly under the meter-main.

chrisb

Replacement may be the only option. But for now I don't have a clear understanding of how to tap off the load side of the CB and getting approval from the inspector.

Teaspoon

Seems to me you could Install a disconnect box like you would do on a mobile home service use a 4 circuit . then you would have a couple of extra circuits.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
looks like you have enough room for some "polaris" type mechanical connectors.

e57

chrisb said:
Replacement may be the only option. But for now I don't have a clear understanding of how to tap off the load side of the CB and getting approval from the inspector.
See 240.21B - you can do it, but with very specific conditions.

• Load
  • conductor size
  • conductor length
  • protection (Physical)
  • Over-current protection
  • ETC.
Chamuit's suggestion is a good one IMO - but you could tap to that too.... But if right next to it - for the cost of it in material you could use the same size conductors and it 'technically' is no longer a "tap", as the OCP would cover it as a regular "splice". "Tap" - for this purpose is defined at the begining of 240.

BTW - looking at your picture again - I spotted something.... Your existing feeder appears to exit the enclosure in the "metering" side of the can - while it may or may not be a code violation - many POCO's and Inspectors get itchy about that type of thing - I would bring that up with your AHJ...

ub8up1

on looking closer

on looking closer

while looking at your picture it looks like the breaker is fed from the bottom...not the top, maybe I'm wrong but it sure looks like it

Status
Not open for further replies.