LED Bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.

resistance

Has anyone seen or heard of LED light bulbs staying on-even when the power is off? I figure the grounded conductor is in switching, or capacitance is involved! [Current leakage]Your thoughts on the topic?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Has anyone seen or heard of LED light bulbs staying on-even when the power is off? I figure the grounded conductor is in switching, or capacitance is involved! [Current leakage]Your thoughts on the topic?

Staying on for how long?

If they never shut off, realize that they only draw about 50mA and they may be getting some induced current.

If they eventually fade off, a cap somewhere is discharging.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
If you have them on a lighted switch, an X10 device, or other "smart switch", most of these leak current all the time to power their circuitry. That small current is enough to make the LEDs glow. Major pain for remote control of Christmas Lights.

kwired

Electron manager
Are you talking LED indicator type lamps or LED's for general illumination?

leakage current if the switch device is solid state would not be suprising at all for an indicator type lamp. You either need dry contact switching device or a drain resistor.

resistance

So far I haven’t been onsite. I just got an email asking why. I found out the customer has some off brand LED bulbs for a chandelier light fixture. I told him to return the off-band LED’s, and buy new bulbs (Philips—can we say Philips with out the “R”…..LOL) first, then we will go with checking the circuit--if the new bulbs don’t perform as intended.
Thanks for the info!! I’ll check back once I find out more.

Status
Not open for further replies.