Thread: Residential propane tank grounding

Residential propane tank grounding

I know from all the discussion ther is a lot of opinions on grounding a propane tank. What can I show an inspector is the rule.
    A residential tank located outside away from the house. Plastic gas line underground to inside the house. It seems to me grounding this tank in any way is lighting the fuse.What do I do?
    this is in Florida

Quote Originally Posted by maytrix1
    What do I do?
    I would ask the inspector, "What is likely to energize the tank?"

Besides, I agree: the tank is isolated and possibly earthed; why bring electricity to it?
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

It seems we agree but I have a green inspector. I am suppose to get the code from the gas contractor but he hasnt come through. He said not to ground it.

Matrix
    I am not sure how it works where you live, but here as an inspector it is up to me to show the contractor or his men what section of the code is not being complied with. Not for you to tell me what code section is. I would talk to this "new" inspector and see if he is willing to "listen and learn"

Good Luck
    Instructor, Industry Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre C Belarge
    Matrix
    I am not sure how it works where you live, but here as an inspector it is up to me to show the contractor or his men what section of the code is not being complied with. Not for you to tell me what code section is. I would talk to this "new" inspector and see if he is willing to "listen and learn"

Good Luck
    good advice, Pierre. Listening and learning.... As I am sure you know, credibility is everything and you want to start the "new" inspector off on the right path.

good call

Faith is like electricity. You can't see it, but you can see the light.