A Little Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the inspectors that work for us took this picture. I was wondering if this would be a permitted installation for a Classified location.

The first picture is of an XP box
etsny002.jpg

The second picture shows the box has reducers in it. Is this permitted for this location??
etsny004.jpg

iwire

Staff member
Good question I really do not know.

I believe reducing bushing have straight threads both internally and externally. That might actually be a problem having a straight thread running into the box instead of the tapered thread a conduit would have.

wbalsam1

I would say that equipment used in explosion proof areas should be tested and identified for the use. Article 500.8(A)(1). An ordinary reducing bushing would probably fail. :)

Also see 501.15(A)(1) which permits explosionproof unions, couplings, reducers, elbows and OE's to be placed between the seal and the explosionproof enclosure. (4) even mentions the reducer.

Last edited:

cadpoint

I thought it was the babbling brook that had you in a parodox?

Why so many taps on a cast box thats explosion proof ?

Seems something else could have been used.

iwire

Staff member
brother said:
I see nothing in the code that would make this a violation. If anyone does, please say where, other than that, you will have to pass it and move on.

501.10(A)(3) or 502.10(A)(4) or 502.10(B)(4).

Once you get into hazardous location work you better be able to show the parts you are using are listed for the purpose.

iwire

Staff member
cadpoint said:
I thought it was the babbling brook that had you in a parodox?

Why so many taps on a cast box thats explosion proof ?

Seems something else could have been used.

I was thought it was odd as well and I have done very little explosion proof work. :-?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
This is more of a question than a comment as there is much I need to learn about Hazardous locations.
I do know that there is a reducing bushing manufactured for use in Hazardous locations, so, if it can be shown that this bushing complies, is there a problem ??

iwire

Staff member
augie47 said:
I do know that there is a reducing bushing manufactured for use in Hazardous locations, so, if it can be shown that this bushing complies, is there a problem ??

I think that they must be listed for hazardous locations.

I was just looking at the 2006 UL white book and found this in the index of product categories

Reducing Bushings (see Conduit Fittings
For Use In Hazardous Locations) ............. 61

Looking at page 61 it seems the fittings covered by that section must be marked ??Conduit Fitting for Hazardous Locations??

RUWired

brother said:
I see nothing in the code that would make this a violation. If anyone does, please say where, other than that, you will have to pass it and move on.

Article 500.8(D) requires a 3/4" taper thread for all conduit and fittings.All fittings need to be made wrench tight.
Rick

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Pierre C Belarge said:
I was wondering about the "5" thread, now I am also wondering about the taper.
I would hate to tell this contractor to take it apart after our inspector has been there.
About as much as I hate to say those look like non-xp bushings...

Compare appearance in Steel City's xp and non-xp types...
In your pictures, notice the rounded end on the bushings. Compare that to the product image in second link above, keeping in mind the rounded end is on the far end.

Edit to add: I have no way of knowing if those are in fact Steel City fittings, so the evidence is not conclusive :)

Last edited:

growler

Pierre C Belarge said:
One of the inspectors that work for us took this picture. I was wondering if this would be a permitted installation for a Classified location

One thing to think about. Is that a classified location where the box is mounted? Out in the open air like that you start to lose you classified rating pretty quick. That box looks like it is more than 18" above grade level.

The question is this. Does that box even need and explosion proof rating?

Is this a gas station?

charlie k.

A little help

A little help

Pierre, all listed reducing bushings I have purchased or used have it stamped on the outer edge of the fitting. You can still read the info after the re is installed. Hope this helps. As to why the box has so many threaded bosses, it is a bear to add one if needed later. Most suppliers stock the ones with multiple openings. It reduces their inventory.

Charlie

fishin' electrician

The Crouse-Hinds RE reducers are stamped CLI-CLII-CLIII on the small lip that protrudes from the box and have tapered threads. There are at least 7 threads on these fittings.

Judging from the amount of the bushing inside the box and that the lip is still visible outside the box, I'd say there is a good chance these are correct. Only your inspector can look for the stamp.

I am curious as to how all this was spun together without seeing any unions and with two entries on the same side of the box.

hardworkingstiff

fishin' electrician said:
I am curious as to how all this was spun together without seeing any unions and with two entries on the same side of the box.

I was wondering the same thing. I put unions between the sealoff and junction box when there are more than 1 conduit entering the box.

As for those wondering about that box, it's a Crouse-Hinds GUP214. One of the best X-proof general purpose boxes around. When I did gas stations a lot, I used to keep these on hand all the time. They cost a few $ more, but you only have to carry one box. It is very nice to be able to exit the box on the opposite side of the cover a well as all 4 sides.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
fishin' electrician said:
hardworkingstiff said:
I was wondering the same thing.
The runs started on that end... or one ended and the other started. The problem is when both end at a box.

Last edited:

coulter

I haven't done any conduit threading (for money) in about 25 years. Most all of my work was explosion -proof. All we did were gas stations and petroleum bulk plants.

At that time factory conduit threads were straight. Field threads were cut using a standard, tapered, pipe die. (See 2002 344.28). Fitting threads, including XP fittings, were straight.

Hummm ...
1. Industry has changed in the last 25 years and fitting threads are no longer straight.

2. I'm all wet and they also used to be straight.

3. Industry has not changed and fitting threads are still straight.

I'm okay any way it turns out, mostly just curious. Could one of you take a straight edge to a factory thread and compare it to a field cut thread?

carl

iwire

Staff member
coulter said:
At that time factory conduit threads were straight. Field threads were cut using a standard, tapered, pipe die. (See 2002 344.28). Fitting threads, including XP fittings, were straight.

Conduit threads are tapered, factory made or in the field.

Some conduit fittings, like couplings for instance, are straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.