20 amp duplex recepticle

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnettda

I have a 20 amp duples recepticle with the tab removed between the two hot screws and feed with two twenty amp circuits. Is my device rated for two 20 amp circuits or is the whole device rated 20 amps. It feeds kitchen equipment toaster and waffle maker both at about 13 amps.
One neutral going back to panel. Is my neutral then overloaded?
Thanks

arnettda

I have a 20 amp duples recepticle with the tab removed between the two hot screws and feed with two twenty amp circuits. Is my device rated for two 20 amp circuits or is the whole device rated 20 amps. It feeds kitchen equipment toaster and waffle maker both at about 13 amps.
Thanks

Sorry I meant duplex recep.

growler

Thanks

Each receptacle is rated for a 20 Amp circuit. If this is MWBC ( seperate phases) there is nothing wrong with this. If you are trying for GFCI protection then you will have to add GFCI breakers.

Some electricians used to split the top and bottom of a duplex into two circuits for counter top
receptacles thinking that if people were to only use one of the duplex receptacles ( often happens because of location ) that it would be less likely to overload.

Probably a good idea but I'm to lazy for that and since it's not required the practice dies out.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
That should be fine with a mwbc.

first note, why would it matter if it is or it isn't MWBC?

It certainly is if it's not a MWBC

On a second note, we have had this discussion here many times and i don't believe it came to a final decision.
The rating of a duplex receptacles (15A & 20A) is for one receptacle on that single yoke or it is the rating of that yoke?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
first note, why would it matter if it is or it isn't MWBC?

If it wasn't, the neutral would return the total of both hots combined. For instance, if there were 13 amps on one and 15 on the other and they were from the same leg (phase isn't really the correct word) the single neutral would be returning 28 amps. If those same loads were on each side of a MWBC, the neutral would be returning 2 amps.

On a second note, we have had this discussion here many times and i don't believe it came to a final decision.
The rating of a duplex receptacles (15A & 20A) is for one receptacle on that single yoke or it is the rating of that yoke?

It is the rating of the device, not any individual part. 20 A is the max. In the above scenario with the overloaded neutral, a 20 A receptacle carrying 28 amps total is overloaded. If it were on a MWBC with the same loads, it would be compliant.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
It is the rating of the device, not any individual part. 20 A is the max. In the above scenario with the overloaded neutral, a 20 A receptacle carrying 28 amps total is overloaded. If it were on a MWBC with the same loads, it would be compliant.

So if the tab is broken one is not allowed to install two separate two wire circuits on a receptacle?

For example if one heater draws 15Amps and the 2nd heater draws 15Amps that would be 30Amps through a 20Amp rated duplex receptacle.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
So if the tab is broken one is not allowed to install two separate two wire circuits on a receptacle?

For example if one heater draws 15Amps and the 2nd heater draws 15Amps that would be 30Amps through a 20Amp rated duplex receptacle.

Each device can handle 20 amps so a MWBC or 2- 20 amp circuits will work.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If the way you look at is correct then each part could only carry 10 amps. What good is that. Remember with the tabs broken then the is no connection between the upper and lower part of the duplex.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician

With separate neutrals, the max current would be 15 A, so that would be OK. (No part of the device would be carrying more than 20 amps)

To clarify, if that same receptacle was fed by a single 30 amp circuit with #10 conductors and two 15 A heaters were used on it at the same time, that would overload the receptacle, as 30 amps could be measured at a single terminal.

Last edited:

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
With separate neutrals, the max current would be 15 A, so that would be OK. (No part of the device would be carrying more than 20 amps)

so then it is a receptacle issue it is a circuit neutral capacity issue.

Each device can handle 20 amps so a MWBC or 2- 20 amp circuits will work.

so a single yoke is not rated at 20A, but rather 20Amp per female receptacle, so a duplex 20Amp receptacle can safely carry 40Amps.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
so then it is a receptacle issue it is a circuit neutral capacity issue.

so a single yoke is not rated at 20A, but rather 20Amp per female receptacle, so a duplex 20Amp receptacle can safely carry 40Amps.

It's not a neutral capacity issue, its an issue of how much current is measured at a single point.

With 20 amps on each (isolated) receptacle of a duplex, the only way to measure 40 amps would be to combine the current from two different points. Any single point would still measure 20 amps.

Status
Not open for further replies.