Wire Single Wall Oven

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkgrady

Often when I wire a new kitchen the customer is getting a standard oven and cook top. Assumming it is all electric I will run a 50 amp circuit and plan to install a typical range outlet down near the floor behind the oven. Other times they may have a single wall oven and I will look at the oven specs to see what it needs for amperage and a connection.

In this case they know they want a singel wall oven but they do not plan to select it until after I have wired the new kitchen. Anybody have a guess as to the largest size circuit I will need? I'm guessing a 30 amp.

Also, don't they usually connect with a factory flex whip in an adjacent cabinet and not behind the unit? I hate it when they don't know what they want. It just makes the job more difficult.

svh19044

Often when I wire a new kitchen the customer is getting a standard oven and cook top. Assumming it is all electric I will run a 50 amp circuit and plan to install a typical range outlet down near the floor behind the oven. Other times they may have a single wall oven and I will look at the oven specs to see what it needs for amperage and a connection.

In this case they know they want a singel wall oven but they do not plan to select it until after I have wired the new kitchen. Anybody have a guess as to the largest size circuit I will need? I'm guessing a 30 amp.

Also, don't they usually connect with a factory flex whip in an adjacent cabinet and not behind the unit? I hate it when they don't know what they want. It just makes the job more difficult.

Contrary to your experience, most of the kitchens I do use wall ovens instead of slide in/freestanding.

Most wall ovens that I install have a gap either below or above, with a factory whip. And the amount of room given is TIGHT. I don't remember the last time that installation reqs called for electric in an adjacent cabinet? Single ovens are usually no more than 30amp, but I do believe that I installed a single that called for a 50amp in the specs before (DCS maybe?? don't recall manufacturer exactly).

As to running electric before they pick the appliance, tell them your opinion and see if they are willing to pay twice if you don't run enough. Sorry I can't be of much more help. I'm guessing there is no way to run a new line once they do select the appliance?

Last edited:

PetrosA

30A is "probably" safe, but I would rather see a 40A line run (fuse it at less if you want later). What if they change their minds and decide on a double wall unit, or some kind of combination unit? If all you have is a 10/3, you're out of luck.

Connections are really poorly designed in my opinion. Most of the time there is no side cabinet to put the flex into (it will usually only fit into a notch on one side if the oven backs up against the rear wall of the cabinet) so the only solution is for the cabinet installer to cut out the back of the cabinet and the drywall so the box, NM and flex can fit in the wall cavity. I have a much better idea of how to do it, but I'd need a patent before I mentioned it here ;)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Most are 30 amps but I have seen a few that were 40 amps. Usually a 40 amp will do a double oven but I would get the specs before I'd wire it.

Status
Not open for further replies.