NEC VS. UL for gen set

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshunk

QES said:
Does a walk-in gen-set must meet NEC working space requirement.?
Doesn't matter. It's a UL listed assembly. The NEC stops at the door to the equipment. Same goes for walk in RTU's and prefabricated telco buildings.

iwire

Staff member
QES said:
See an code problem with this panel?

No and I agree with Marc.

Trying to apply the NEC to this unit is like trying to apply the NEC to the wiring in a dishwasher.

By the way it is not NEC vs UL, they are not battling each other, just different.

ryan_618

I disagree that it isn't within the scope of the NEC. I inspected a UL listed building that needed two exits and only had one. I failed it, notified UL, and they applauded me for it. They then visited the site where they are manufactured and re-evaluated the buildings.

iwire

Staff member
ryan_618 said:
I disagree that it isn't within the scope of the NEC. I inspected a UL listed building that needed two exits and only had one. I failed it, notified UL, and they applauded me for it. They then visited the site where they are manufactured and re-evaluated the buildings.

Ryan regardless of the outcome I do not see it as under the NEC. It appears in your case the manufacturer was not meeting the UL requirements.

cadpoint

QES said:
See any code problem with this panel?
Depending on what your going to vent... ? ;)

No, Most all mechanical applications have there own serviceability issues and requirements seems your out of their zone, but it does seem like alot of lost wall space.

Wait your doubling down, by crossing both required "free" zone of servicability, I get it...

iwire

Staff member
sandsnow said:
Contrary to popular belief, UL does not knowingly allow products with Code violations to be listed or classified.

We sure could go round on that. :smile:

Look at a typical residential dishwasher, does the open wiring on the bottom comply with the rules in the NEC?

sandsnow

iwire said:
We sure could go round on that. :smile:

Look at a typical residential dishwasher, does the open wiring on the bottom comply with the rules in the NEC?

I haven't seen the bottom of a dishwasher in recent memory. Section 300.1(B) would put the wiring method out of the scope of the NEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.