Inspector residential question....

Status
Not open for further replies.

c2500

Ok,

E3801.7 of the 2006 IRC requires a receptacle to be installed at the front and rear of a residence no higher than 6'6" above grade, having direct access to grade. If a receptacle was 15' away from the front of the house, would you feel it complies with the code? As an alternate,3 feet to the side from the rear of the house.

Just curious...

c2500

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The NEC says at the front and rear so it could technically be off to the side. How far off is a good question. 3' may seem reasonable to some and not very reasonable to others.

ultramegabob

are we talking about a new construction building, or a rewire? I would be more lieniant on someone who was rewireing an old home with a stone foundation and brick with plaster walls on the inside than someone who can choose where to install while it is being built....

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
c2500 said:
Just curious...

c2500

Sorry for this, but why do you post your screen name at the end of your post? Are you afraid that nobody will know who posted that material?

Everyone knows who you are when you post based on the name that shows up next to your post.

To answer your question though, I would imagine the goal would be to have a place to plug in your electric lawnmower/weedwhacker/leafblower no matter where you were in your yard.

c2500

jaylectricity said:
Sorry for this, but why do you post your screen name at the end of your post? Are you afraid that nobody will know who posted that material?

Everyone knows who you are when you post based on the name that shows up next to your post.

I do it out of habit.

I guess I consider it a signature.

Sorry if it bothers you.

c2500

dcspector

c2500 said:
Ok,

E3801.7 of the 2006 IRC requires a receptacle to be installed at the front and rear of a residence no higher than 6'6" above grade, having direct access to grade. If a receptacle was 15' away from the front of the house, would you feel it complies with the code? As an alternate,3 feet to the side from the rear of the house.

Just curious...

c2500

I do not see a distance noted in the code. Also, who cares what and where you post your signature.....no biggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.