Sump Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it true a duplex receptable in an unfinished basement of a dwelling supplying a sump pump must be GFCI protected. Why?:-?

iwire

Staff member
sinovakane said:
Is it true a duplex receptable in an unfinished basement of a dwelling supplying a sump pump must be GFCI protected. Why?:-?

Yes, and under the 2008 even a single receptacle.

Protection of people.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
And for those who detest a sump pump on a GFCI, you could always use a 240 volt pump and a receptacle without GFCI protection.

Buck Parrish

It might be tricky with the so cord. But technically you could hard wire it to a pull out disconnect. Nothing says that has to be gfci protected.:cool:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Unplug the pump, plug in a drop light.
some feel the sump pump will cause the GFCI to trip. I have seen sump pumps with a dead short to ground. GFCIs' seldom nuisance trip.

C3PO

stickboy1375 said:
Nope, dont tell anyone but I also keep my freezer on a gfci also...

I haven't heard of any problems either, but I have heard lots of complaints about the GFCI exception being eliminated.

iwire

Staff member
buckofdurham said:
It might be tricky with the so cord. But technically you could hard wire it to a pull out disconnect. Nothing says that has to be gfci protected.:cool:

You can not hardwire it unless it is listed for that.

peter d

The bottom line on GFCI's and motor driven appliances:

If the GFCI trips with an appliance plugged into it, that is a sign of a problem with the appliance and shows that the GFCI is doing its job.

If your customers have concerns about the sump pump GFCI tripping and flooding the basement, battery backup units are available for reasonable cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.