Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: conduit vs romex

conduit vs romex

If romex is alowed in residential, and conduit is required in comercial, what about multipurpose buildings such as comercial below and residential above?
    Does the NEC allow romex to be used for wiring the second floor apartments?
    In our small town the local code guy does not know the answer.
    :confused:

Quote Originally Posted by bob awerkamp
    If romex is alowed in residential, and conduit is required in comercial, what about multipurpose buildings such as comercial below and residential above?
    Excluding any local codes and speaking only of the NEC, romex is allowed in commercial buildings and conduit is allowed in residential

You need to read article 334.

You can View the NEC online by clicking HERE

Roger

Bob,
    a real plus to answering your question would be for us to know where you are located and , if you know, what code cycle is being used in that local.

So, where ya from?
    ĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦ
    ««« CELTIC »»»
    ĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦ
    An error on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.8-)

In our small town the local code guy does not know the answer.
    :confused:
    Common misconceptions about both when it comes right to the NEC - you're local codes may vary.... You should check with your AHJ - They may have ammendments that supercede the state or NEC.

Example:
    334.10. Revise this section as follows:
    334.10. Uses permitted. Type NM, Type NMC, and Type NMS cables shall be permitted to be used in the following:
    (1) One- and two-family dwellings,
    (2) Multi-family dwellings permitted to be of Types III, IV, and V construction up to 4 stories in height except as prohibited by 334.12.
    334.12(11). Add a new section as follows:
    334.12(11).
    (11) In any nonresidential structure or occupancy.
    Other examples I have seen are through other codes that change building type for certain building use, and require non-combustable wiring methods to be used in them. i.e. metallic. Simularly require raceway methods, and ban PVC.

'what about multipurpose buildings such as commercial below and residential above?'

I have done some buildings that have the whole first floor commercial zoned as part of the mixed use and they get all metallic conduit and MC. Like-wise all of the stud work is tin... Then there is a concrete deck, and the next 3 floors except for common areas, and FA - get romex. And the framing is wood.... Simularly, I have done first floor commercial, and the next 10 floors in MC and pipe because other local codes and building spec's change the building type often triggered by building hieght, and other codes dictated what was or could be installed.

IMO you should first check your adopted NEC (Code cycle?), then state for changes, and when-ever you even go to bid a project in a new town - go find out what they will or will not allow through other ammended codes before you sumbit the bid. 'Cause I know a few places you can get screwed in just by not bidding apples to apples - only to find out you just got the big bannana. A town to the south of me only allows metallic raceway methods in residential..... :rolleyes: My city wount allow flex longer than 6' - but that town you could run it by the thousand's, but no cable of any kind - each place has it's quirks. :mad: Even the way certain codes are interpeted regionally can mean things won't be done the same.
    Electric heretic
    It's always gonna be in the last place you look....

Quote Originally Posted by roger
    Excluding any local codes and speaking only of the NEC, romex is allowed in commercial buildings and conduit is allowed in residential

You need to read article 334.

You can View the NEC online by clicking HERE

Roger
    Be very careful here and especially read 334.12 "Uses Not Permitted". For example: 334.12(1) Not allowed "as open runs in dropped or suspended ceilings in other than one- and two-family and multifamily dwellings.". This was added to the NEC in 2002.

your best bet is to check with local building inspector.
    Mixed use buildings are tricky and all depends to local builing codes and AHJ.
    Here in California we wired them with MC Cables.No NM allowed.

We use the most unsafe (nm) in places we have kids sleeping and conduit in commercial where nobody is in serious danger like small stores with likely less than 10 people at any given time.Forget logic and think $$$$$$$$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by Jim W in Tampa
    We use the most unsafe (nm) in places we have kids sleeping and conduit in commercial where nobody is in serious danger like small stores with likely less than 10 people at any given time.Forget logic and think $$$$$$$$$$$

Jim how do you feel NM is unsafe if installed correctly? Just out of curiosity?
    "Electricity is actually made up of extremely tiny particles called electrons, that you cannot see with the naked eye unless you have been drinking."

Quote Originally Posted by stickboy1375
    It has always been the easiest to damage and if for what ever reason overloaded what is safer.Given the choice at same price would you pick nm over conduit ?

Quote Originally Posted by stickboy1375
    I second this question, how about some statistics Jim?

Roger